Chapter 60-This is the End

Chapter 60

There's no trial.

Lorraine and I worked out a plea deal with Jeff and his lawyer. Charges will be dropped, only if Jeff gets the help he needs and goes to a hospital to get that help.

I don't know if Jeff was sane enough to understand the deal when he took it. But he did.

The charges have been dropped, Jeff was released from the hospital prison and I have been staying at Dylan's place since the beginning of June.

I wake up today after finally sleeping through a night for the first time since the rape. Dylan suggested that I go to Dr. Ferry and talk to her, since I'm still having troubles throughout the day. I did as he asked of me, and since going I've been feeling a lot better. She said that it's common to not be getting enough sleep at night, and that it will take a while for my system to fully recuperate, but that can easily be fixed by taking some sleeping medication. Nothing like Dylan's dalmane, but something that just keeps the nightmares from waking me.

It's strange. I don't need depression medication anymore, but I need sleeping pills.

Dylan thinks this is a hoot and a half though. He's always joking that when we take our pills before bed we're playing drug dealer.

"The drug dealer bring your supply?" He asks every night with a goofy smile. "They brought mine."

"Yes yes," I tell him as I always drink the water to wash down the pills.

Tonight however when I take the pills as usual and plop down on the couch, Dylan lingers.

"Your back isn't sore from sleeping on my couch for an entire month?" He asks, twiddling his fingers.

I shrug, looking up from my phone. "Better than going back to my place right now."

Dylan nods and then turns and walks into his bedroom. That was strange, I think to myself, going back to the reading on my phone. 

Half an hour later, I'm still reading, slightly sleepy when I get a text message.

Dylan: I'm lonely.

I giggle and roll my eyes dramatically.

Alex: What do you want me to do about it?

Dylan: Come join me stupid.

Alex: Don't call me stupid.

Dylan: Fine. Come join me, sweetheart.

My cheeks instantly burn. I know Dylan and I have been moving in the direction of becoming a couple, but I honestly don't know what we are right now.

So I pick up my pillow, leave my phone to charge and walk to Dylan's dark bedroom. 

It's only midnight, but I'm still not too tired. I'm mostly interested to see what Dylan wants to do.

And no. Not sex. I'm not ready for that and he knows that.

I creak open the door and slither in, closing the door behind me. Dylan's lying down, the blankets cascaded over most of his body. I slip into the bed next to him, feeling my pulse race at a million miles an hour. I turn on my side carefully and look at Dylan, who smiles at me. I return it, then turn to face the ceiling, closing my eyes as my back rests on Dylan's soft mattress. No later than five minutes do I feel the warmth of Dylan's hand find mine under the covers, causing me to smile wide.

Dylan keeps his distance through the night on the bed, not getting to close to me and allowing me to try and sleep. I do eventually drift off around one am, dreaming of holding Dylan in my arms and of a life where I'm finally happy.