Chapter 13-Illinois to Pennsylvania

From the shortness of Chapter 12 comes the long-assness of Chapter 13. You better get comfy, cause there is a long chapter ahead of you. Hope it makes up for such a quick short chapter :D Enjoy! :D

Chapter 13

Words can not describe how much I want to kiss Dylan. How much I want his soft, tender lips on mine, his hands caressing me, his beautiful body against mine. I can't. I can't do it. 

I owe someone the truth. Maybe telling Dylan what really happened with my parents will help me find closure. Maybe, in my own way, this will help me.

I stay in Dylan's arm a few more minutes. Each second I lie there makes it harder and harder to get up. I realize that these boys are just pulling me in different directions. Jeff wants me to forget everything he's ever done, including meeting Dylan so I can just be his punching bag once again. Dylan wants me to confide in the other Starkids, tell them everything that has happened in my life so that it will be easier. Who said that it was going to be easier? What if it got harder? I can't risk that. I can't risk anything like that at all. Telling Dylan about my parents could mean the last time I talk to him, the last time I speak to any of the Starkids. I feel like he will tell them, but like I said before, it might be my only way to find closure. Telling someone important about my parents. Someone I trust. I trust Joey and Nicki with all of my life, but I'm scared. And telling Dylan will be easier, I know it. I know it will. It has to be.

I stand up and hold my hand out to Dylan. "I need to take you somewhere."

Dylan takes my hand and I lead him back into my room where I put my boots back on and then I lead him back out into the main room. 

Everyone stands up as we enter the room. I don't look anyone in the eye. I just mumble "Keys." Joey lightly, unlike Jeff, grabs my arm. Nicki immediately grabs them, but holds them tight. Dylan looks at her and holds out his hand.

"Nicki, please," the sound in his voice sounds careful, and kind. And Nicki hands over the keys without another word. 

"Alex," Joey says. "We want to help."

"Then let me go."

 He releases his grip and Dylan and I leave the hotel room.

"Where are we going, Alex?" He asks as the door clicks from behind us. The "click, click, click" of my boots against the hardwood floor distract me from his question. But I answer him anyways.

"We're going home."

"Back to New York? At three thirty am? Are you nuts?"

"No. To Pennsylvania."

That shuts him up right away. I know what he's thinking now. I'm taking him to the scene of the crime or I'm just trying to get him in the car or something stupid. But he doesn't know. He doesn't.

PA is actually closer then if we were to drive back to New York this early in the morning. I don't care how far it is. We could go to Alaska for all I care. I have enough energy to be the Energizer Bunny. So I pretend I have a little drum in front of me propelling me forward and Dylan and I make our way to the parking garage to get our rental car.

"Alex, are you going to tell me what happened to your parents or not?"

I'm waiting for him to rip his hand out of mine, but he hasn't yet. That makes my heart fly a little. "Just trust me."

We climb into the Red Honda Acord that Nicki picked up at the dealers and we start to drive. I plug in the coordinates on the GPS, and our arrival time is around 2 in the afternoon. It's an eleven hour drive. Plenty of time to talk, plenty of time to listen.