Chapter 24-Fighting Under Chicago Snowfall

Chapter 24

"Jeff!" I say, not really sure what else to do. Jeff steps out of the taxi, tipping the driver and smiling as he closes the door. He makes his way over to us in delight. Dylan however, is steaming. I can see it out of the corner of my eyes. He is clenching his fists and is snarling at Jeff with hatred.

Jeff however, is smiling wide like nothing bad has ever gone on between us. I don't understand it, what is it he wants? Why is he here, why does he want to talk to me? I haven't a word to say to him. All of a sudden I yearn for Clark, who is still inside and has no idea of the going on's out here. But Dylan's here...

This is going to end badly.

"Hey!" Jeff comes up closer to me and opens his arms. I cringe in anticipation for him to hit me again. He gives me a peculiar look as he steps away. "Alex what's wrong? I was just going to give you a hug."

"Who do you think you are?" Dylan finally says angrily. The hate wafts off his body in waves. I don't want him to explode on Jeff and cause him to hurt either of us, but I don't know what to do. I'm paralyzed in fear. And I'm cold. I'm not wearing pants and shorts don't work in winter time when it's snowing.

"What are you talking about?" Jeff asks Dylan, completely disregarding my presence.

"Where do you get off showing up here, scaring Alex like this and disrupting our tour when it hasn't even been a whole day since we left New York!" Dylan is defending me, right after he said earlier today that I'm the one who always leans on him and depend on him. My heart flutters to know that he's looking out for me no matter what he says to me.

"For your information, I called Jaime. I asked her what was going on, how tour was going. I did this when Alex wouldn't text me back this morning. I wanted to wish everyone luck. And then she asked me if I wanted to meet up at one of the stops. Julia said I could come on the next tour and I wanted to experience at least one concert. Is that a crime, Saunders?"

Well, he makes a pretty convincing argument here. And he's not hitting anyone or yelling or screaming. So that must mean something. I don't know what his angle is, though. Is he really here for the reasons he gives or is he really here just to try and get close to me again? And then what if he goes off again and hurts me? I'm just so scared for not only my own life, but for Jeff. I don't think anything he's done to anyone is intentional which I know sounds completely insane and like I'm in denial, but something about the way he acts now makes me question his behavior.

"Why didn't you tell any of us then?" Dylan asks, obviously not happy with the answer Jeff gave.

"I told Alex," Jeff says.

Shit. I was hoping he wouldn't rat me out. Dylan gives me a quizzical look and then shakes his head. "Alex...he didn't really did he?"

I pull my phone out and give it to Dylan to show him the text I had been so afraid of just a few minutes before. This is why I didn't want to wait for Dylan. I was going to make a bee-line for the hotel  so I could avoid Jeff and I had missed my opportunity. If Dylan hadn't stopped me, made me wait the extra twenty seconds, I would have missed Jeff and avoided this entire conversation. I wouldn't be scared out of my wits right now. But thanks to Dylan, here I am.

"This is why you were leaving the room? This is why you wouldn't tell me what was going on?"

"It's not just that Dylan," I try to explain.

"What else is it then, Alex? Why won't you talk to me anymore? What the hell is wrong with me? Is it because I'm not Clark? Is it because you're dating him and no-" Dylan stops in the middle of his sentence and coughs. Wait, was he going to say 'And not me?'. My heart starts to raise up and then they sink when he says "And now you don't want to confide in me? Is that all it is?"