Chapter 30-New Year, New Alex

UPDATE 7/9/14: For all the songs, click the external link 1which will link you to a Spotify playlist. If you're on a mobile device but still wanna listen, you'll have to use a computer because at this time I don't know how to work external links on iPods, iPhones or Andriods :( ~Nickey

Chapter 30

I click the buttons on the remote control to the TV as I try to find something to watch. There's never anything on in this hospital. And it's honestly not like I have anything better to do. Clark left about twenty minutes ago, had to run an errand he'd said as he had kissed my forehead. I sigh as I blow some of the hair out of my face and stare at the ceiling as the TV makes noise in the background. I give up, I'll just let some sports game play.

A week and a half I've been in here. I could have left last week, gone home and forgotten this whole ordeal even occurred. But Hazel wants to keep me under observation, so I got moved to a more permanent room, sharing the room with an -at the moment- empty bed. The last patient, who left yesterday was a nice old lady who had been in her kitchen when she had had a heart attack and her daughter had called an ambulance. It had made me smile to know that Gretchen -the old lady- still had people to care for her. Her husband passed two years ago and her daughter Lillian visits her everyday. I even met Lillian the second day Gretchen was in. She was the sweetest lady I've ever met. It made me wish that my mother would have come to visit me.

But then I had remembered: my mother can't visit me. And that had caused me to cry.

Nicki came to the hospital over the weekend and sat with me for an hour before I even woke up from my nap. The medication that Hazel has me on makes me really drowsy, so I tend to take naps throughout the day. 

Nicki filled me in on her family, who sent their regards to me, and told me how her mother and father decided to take a vacation in Hawaii next month. I tried to seem interested, but honestly I couldn't care less. Nicki can still talk about her parents in present tense. And it's not like I'm bitter, cause usually I'm not, but still, imagine being orphaned at 16 and just not telling anyone for six years that you are.

I reach over and grab my anti-depressants that are sitting on my nightstand. Obviously it's time for the medication. Hazel told me that every two hours I need to take the meds. And honestly, I don't even care about having to take them anymore. I feel better when I'm on them, and I haven't felt this happy in years. So when my friends come and visit they ask if I've taken my pills.

Of course I've taken them when they asked. I'm not going to fuck up my life again.

"Alex?" A voice at the door says, pulling me back to reality as I set down my water cup. The Starkids are walking in, smiling at me as they do. Jaime, Clark, Lauren, Dylan, Meredith, Joey, Nicki, Walker, Darren and the Brian's are all pouring into my room, grabbing chairs and sitting everywhere they can possibly fit. I smile at them, but obviously the medicine hasn't kicked in. They all take their seats, asking questions faster than the Flash being able to run.

I can't believe I used a Superhero analogy.

I put up a hand to quiet everyone and they do so.

"Hi it's nice to see all of you, too, thanks!" I say sarcastically. It wasn't that funny, but people still chuckle.

"Alex, no one told us what happened to you, and we just wanna make sure you're alright," Holden says, holding Meredith's hand on the arms of their chairs.

"Denise was telling me it was her fault?" Lauren questions. I shake my head. She still blames herself, and I wish she would stop blaming herself for MY appendix. It explains why she isn't here with everyone else.