Chapter 2-What Are You Doing Here?

Chapter 2

Everyone is standing on the stage, talking, laughing and slapping each other on the back. I awkwardly stand in the back of the theater, not sure whether or not to say anything. I mean, shouldn't I be fangirling right now? No wait, I'm 22. I don't do that. I just silently die inside as I watch my idols all talk to each other. Yeah, that's it. That's what I'll do.

No wait, that'll look weird. I might as well do something. Sit down? Keep standing? Do a handstand? No wait, that's worse than doing nothing. Maybe I should just sneak out of the theater. Good idea, Alex. You fucking genius. 

I slowly start to inch my way out of the room when I hear someone calling my way.

"Alex, I see you!" A familiar voice echoes through the room.

Joey Richter is waving to me. My best friend is waving at me, standing next to all of the people I've ever dreamed of meeting. Well it's Joey. And I do love him like a brother. And I haven't seen him in months. So with that I decide, 'Fuck first impressions, this is my best friend!' And I run up on the stage and embrace him.

"I missed you," he whispers in my ear.

"I missed you, too. It's been too long, Joey. But I'm back," and we break away from our long hug.

Joey signals for all his friends to come over to us. "Guys, this is Alex Rose. She's the one who wrote that script I told you guys about! Not to mention one of my best friends from high school who I've known since I was sixteen. You know, she's that one, too." He beams.

"I'm a 'that one' now, too? Gee, thanks Joey. Thanks a lot," I smile, nudging him.

Just then, people start whispering and nodding to each other, making me grow red. What did I do wrong? Did no one think my joke was funny? Should I stand on my head, would that make them laugh? No, I'd look like a fucking idiot, don't think about that damn headstand again, Alex.

A older looking guy with thinning hair and a huge grin comes over to me. He's shorter than I am, and he seems like the kind of guy who works hard to get what he has. "I'm Nick Lang. My brother Matt and I co-write scripts for our musicals with Brian Holden," He points to a guy who looks a lot like himself and the other guy who is standing right next to him.

"Trust me, I know you guys are. Joey's been telling me stories about his college friends since forever. I saw you guys on SPACE Tour, went to see AVPS and Starship with my best friend, as well as seeing AVPM and Me and My Dick online a million times. and I absolutely envy your guts and talent." Way to sound super mega fucking creepy, Alex. You basically just said "I know who you are so if you lie I'll know. I'm like a serial killer. I know where you live!". Don't need them thinking you're a serial killer.

"Do you know me?" A short girl with long brown hair like mine comes over, sort of skipping and hoping at the same time. She seems like she's high off life, this one.

"Of course! You're Lauren! Who doesn't know you?" I chuckle at that remark, and Lauren's smile grows.

"JOEY!" She shouts. "Why didn't you get this girl here sooner?" Lauren motions to me with her finger. "She's so cool!"

"Lauren, you met her two seconds ago. Chill," the tall guy with big muscles says. Obviously, this is Joe Walker.

"AH! It's He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named!" I playfully shout at Walker, running behind Joey. He grins and then begins to laugh.

"I like you," He says between his laughs. He doesn't mean it in a relationship way. He means it in a way that says "You're cool. And I wanna be friends with someone like you." That basically melts my heart.