Chapter 37-Wrecking Ball

*Song in the media!*

Chapter 37

I think it's funny. A sophomore in school to become a doctor noticed the ulcer when the actual doctors didn't. I smile faintly every time I think about Natalie doing that. She's going to be an amazing doctor one day.

I still think it's fishy the doctor's didn't fucking think to give her the tests to find it, but what do I know? I mean, they told me it was because it was risky with the baby already almost five months large but I think it's just a load of bull shit. After talking to Natalie however, it's true.

I sit besides Nicki's bed for an hour, watching her sleep. The endoscopy, the doctors said, was successful. The ulcer was in the stomach, and because of the excessive blood loss, it had put the baby girl at risk. Thankfully, no damage was caused to the baby, but Nicki's going to be weak for a while. The doctor who had performed the endoscopy, the GI he called himself because I can't spell what he really is, said he would like to keep her under surveillance.

"Does that mean she isn't going to be able to leave?" I'd asked. I don't want Nicki here for too long, I just got her back home. Natalie is telling her parents soon, and I don't want them to fuss over Nicki for too long. I want her to grow, too, as a person, but her family coming here and smothering her isn't going to help. Not to mention if they hear about her pregnancy, I know Mr. McKay won't stop until he knows who it is who knocked up his angel. If he doesn't force it out of Nicki, Natalie will surely say it just so her father will stop badgering her. And Joey won't make it through the week if he knows.

"No, no, Miss McKay will be allowed to leave after about a week. We need to keep her here and make sure that the ulcer doesn't come back and monitor that the baby is in a safe condition. She's stable, she should be okay as long as we keep track of her. We can't risk over-looking anything else that could possibly be wrong with her."

"What are you thinking?" Dylan asks me as we make our way out of Nicki's hospital room. The hours are coming to a close, and we have to leave. We pass hurrying nurses and people on gurney's and I try to avoid all of them as I walk down the hall with my red dress still constricting my movements. I'm glad I changed into flats before coming here because heels plus hospital equals not safe.

"Just wondering if Nicki's going to be okay. It's just not safe. I don't want her hurting anymore than she's been. You don't understand how dangerous this ulcer could have been if it had gotten stronger and..."

I trail off, not wanting to say anything else in risk of revealing Nicki's secret to Dylan. I don't need to do that to her, and not to Dylan. He doesn't need more of my secrets to weigh him down.

"Alex, I know, okay?"

"You know what? You're always saying you know things, Dylan, but you always leave off at that."

"I know Nicki's pregnant and that Joey's the father."

I actually stop and hold my arm out to stop Dylan as well. "How do you know that." I don't say it like a question, though.

I don't look at him as I wait for his reply. How the hell does he possibly know this?

"Joey told me. When Nicki passed out in Sarandipity? Joey came to me one night after she'd been in the hospital, drunk and crying at my doorstep. He told me what had happened, said that he was so tired and sick of keeping the secret of Nicki. When I asked him what happened, he spilled, he couldn't do anything else. Darren knows, I know, and you three know, and that's it."

"Dylan," I sigh, turning to him now. "I can't believe he dumped all that on you."

Shrugging, Dylan sticks his hands in his pockets. "Look, I understand what he's going through. He's just lost is all, he just needed another guy to discuss this with. And Alex, I hope you know that I'm going to keep this secret for Nicki. For all of you. Because I don't want Emma or Joey or anyone else getting hurt here."