Chapter 3-Discoveries and Forgiveness

Chapter 3

In the movies, when something dramatic happens, you're gonna hear dramatic music. Well in this case, the band was still playing the music, unaware of the situation on stage and in the stands. But, no one moves. No one is saying a word. Jeff is staring right at me, and I can feel my entire body shaking. The stage creaks as Jeff takes a step forward, but nothing else is happening. I see Joey on the right of the stage, staring at Jeff, then me, and then back at Jeff. The entire room is silent. A sad silence. I think the band caught on and decided to shut up. I don't want to say a word, or even move. But I can't seem to stop shaking.

"Alex," Jeff finally speaks.

I get up from my seat, and just stand there. What am I doing? Jeff is here, on stage, staring at me. I spent three months trying to erase our history...and he brings it back by showing up.

"Alex, please," Jeff says, his eyes pleading.

Julia comes out from stage right. "Whats going on here? Why did we stop?" She sees the tension and stops cold. "Oh." I wouldn't want to be Julia right now, that's embarrassing.

"Julia," Joey says, calling her over. She runs to him, leaving the stage completely silent.

"What are you doing here, Alex?" Jeff asks me, beginning to walk towards me. I begin to back away towards the door.

This can not be happening to me. It can't be.

"Alright, I'm confused. What the hell is going on?" Dylan asks.

I finally find my voice and clear my throat. Well, Joey knows our history, why don't I just tell the whole fucking world? Okay that was mean. I might as well tell them anyways. "Everyone, this is my ex-boyfriend and fiance, Jeff Blim."

The room explodes into an inferno of noise. People are shouting, others are confused and Joey's face changes from confusion, to concern, to understanding and finally to anger.

Jeff is shouting against everyone while I stand alone, trying to keep from passing out. All I hear is my heart pounding against my chest. I feel a throb in my head as well. Maybe it's just from seeing Jeff, maybe it's from all the memories, or maybe it's the fact that I haven't had my coffee today and I'm going through with drawls.

"Alright! Alright, guys!" Brian manages to shout over everyone. I'm actually shocked. The entire room falls completely silent at this, and another wave of tension wafts through it. "Obviously something has happened between these two, causing them to become ex's. But what is the reason for all this shouting?!"

I stand there, my cheeks turning bright red. Okay, so I know that sounds really childish that I'm 22 and I get embarrassed a lot. But it's true.

I really don't want to discuss the reason that I'm no longer dating Jeff with these people, whom I barely know. But I look over at him, and his eyes seem to plea with questions. As if he doesn't even know the story himself. He doesn't get it. And he never will. What a self-centered bastard. He honestly looks like he can't figure why I hate him, loathe his presence. No one has ever made me hate them as much as I do looking at him right now. His lip quivers, and I momentarily feel sorry that I am doing this to him. But can't he see what he is doing to me?

"Alex, what's wrong? What happened between you two?" Joey asks. His fists are clenched and at his side. I never told him the story of me and Jeff's break up. Only Nicki knew. I only told Joey that we broke up and I'm guessing Joey didn't realize that my Jeff was this Jeff. I see Lauren clutching onto Joey's left arm, holding him back from doing anything he may regret.

Why is it I fall so easily to peer-pressure? I breathe loudly and then, I begin my side of the story. I make sure when I tell it that I emphasize that. I tell them how we had met in college, how he transferred to Michigan and how we maintained a relationship. When I begin telling them about the funeral and how Jeff's father had died, I saw Jaime and Lauren rub their eyes. No doubt those two actually were sad about it. The proposal has Joey and Dylan perk their heads up, obviously shocked that I accepted his offer. I mean in my mind, even now, I still don't understand how he or anyone could ever fall in love with me. Mostly because Jeff was really the first boy I ever called my boyfriend.