Chapter 20

Chapter 20

Still Luke’s P.O.V

“Luke? What are you doing out here?” Avery called, walking outside. I didn’t turn to face her, I just kept staring up at the stars. I heard the sliding door close as she walked outside. “Are you okay?”

I didn’t reply. I just sighed to myself and ran my fingers through my hair. The truth was, I didn’t know if I was okay. And the problem is that, I didn’t want to talk to Avery. I came outside from what I had found out just minutes ago. How could I have not noticed before?

It was early morning now, about two or so. Everyone had gone home and the people who had stayed, were asleep. I wondered why Avery was awake. She probably heard me coming outside.

“Luke?”

I turned around and faced her. She was wearing her pyjamas with her hair in a messy bun, a few strands of hair falling over her face. I looked down at her bare feet. A few pieces of wet grass stuck to them. I wondered if she cared about her feet getting dirty, the grass was wet from having a short shower of rain before.

Her bare feet. Those feet. Her feet. Her feet were the feet that wore the red converse. She’s the girl who wears the red converse.

*A few hours ago*

“BYE!” Beau shouted as the last of our friends left. It was late. We were all yawning and were ready to go to bed. Which me and Avery were already doing. We had both gotten into bed on the mattresses in the living room, while still talking to everyone.

“Finally, sleep!” Avery exclaimed, before giggling quietly to herself and snugging into my arm a bit more. I bit my lip to prevent myself from smiling like a dork. “I’ll be right back! I’m just going to go get changed.”

She got up from lying down, meaning she got out of my arms, that were cuddling her and holding her tight. The guys had been giving me shit about it most of the night, but luckily Avery didn’t take it too seriously and just laughed. She walked over to her bag, before zipping it undone and grabbing out her pyjama’s and walking off towards the bathroom. She accidently kicked her bag over spilling some of her stuff out. I smiled to myself as I watched her.

“Damn bro, you really must like her.”

I turned away from the sight of Avery and turned to look at Jai who was talking to me. Beau had looked over as well, who was in a conversation with James and Daniel. They were staying over tonight as well.

“Yeah, I think I do,” I replied, scratching the back of my neck. I could feel my cheeks start to go red.

“I knew it!” James suddenly yelled. I looked at him, raising one of my eyebrows. “Well, it’s so obvious that you like her.”

“What- I do not make it that obvious!” I argued.

“Oh please. ‘Oh Avery, you are so nice’. ‘Oh look, I’m blushing again because of you Avery’.  ‘Avery, I just want to cuddle you for no apparent reason’,” James replied, trying to imitate my voice.

I playfully glared at him. “I did not do that all night,” I said.

“Sure, sure,” James chuckled.

I rolled my eyes at the big controversy the boys were making by it all. I lay back down on the mattress, facing away from the boys and towards Avery’s bag. I smiled again to myself at the thought of Avery. I wish she would like me back.

I looked at the stuff that fell out of Avery’s backpack, from when she kicked it over before. Some of her clothes were sprawled out; shorts, singlet, socks. I suddenly gulped as I saw one of her items nearly hidden under her clothes. I furrowed my eyebrows together as I looked closer. I bit my lip as I felt my breathing hitch in the back of my throat. I had seen them before. Those shoes, I had seen them before, oh so many times in my dreams. The red converse.