Chapter 5

I woke up the next day in my cell, 20 minutes before I have to be awake. I didn't see Luke at all that day. I kept telling myself not to worry about him, but he seems like such an innocent criminal (sounds odd) and he can't survive on his own, so I can't help but worry about him. Even though I don't know him, I feel obligated to care for him, like he is my brother. I pace around my room, trying to stop thinking about Luke, and finally, I hear the alarm that announces the cells are unlocking. I quickly jump into the line of prisoners, and it takes Stella a few minutes to find me because I'm usually at the back of the line, or at least was yesterday. I've only been here one day. We chat a bit about random stuff, until we enter the cafeteria for breakfast. I look around, cautiously through the sea of orange suits, and slashed of red and yellow, for Luke. Unfortunately I don't see him. Me and Stella grab our breakfast, which consisted of a stale bagel, an already few cut strawberries, and another point to the water fountain. We walk away from the lady, without saying thank you, because Stella said that 'they don't care about you; don't care about them' which probably meant, don't thank anyone, you're in a fucking prison. I laughed silently to myself. I suddenly stopped- why am I laughing! I am in a prison. I look over at Stella while she eats her food, sitting at the table we sat at yesterday, away from everyone, and I sit down across from her. We take about 10 minutes to finish our breakfast and then we decide to get to know each other better. I wish that Luke was here to listen and and chime in with our friend bonding time, which was kind of creepy because we were all murderers. I really wanted to get to know Luke; he seemed like he needed someone to tell everything to, and I would be there to listen, just like nothing bad or twisted ever happened in our lives. Stella is telling me about her brother's college life, and then I see Luke step out into the hallway near the cafeteria entrance, with a huge scar along his pale face, with bruises scattered across his arms and probably his entire body. I practically jump out of my seat, and rush over to him, but a guard catches me off-guard (GET IT) and pushed me back to the cafeteria. I sigh, realizing Luke wasn't entering the cafeteria, but the torture room, as what Stella calls it. What did he do? I sit back down, now next to Stella and I feel shivers, thinking of what is happening to Luke. I will have to comfort him during lunch, hopefully if he is there.

To my luck, Luke isn't at lunch either, and I sit with Stella, and she seems a bit irritated. But I couldn't blame her, who wouldn't be if they were trapped in a metal building. We were left in an uncomfortable silence, as I see a boy approach me. I don't recognize him until I see his quiff.

"LUKE!" I yell, still sitting down, because we aren't exactly friends yet.

"oh hi..." he sniffles. Is he crying? I scoot closer to him, and lean on his shoulder. I don't know how to comfort someone I don't know. I do not want to ask 'are you okay' because that is so cliche and he obviously isn't, so I can answer that myself. An 'I hope you feel better' is definitely a no, because he is bruised everywhere. So I stay silent for a while.

"Fucking prisons, no one there to help you.." Luke mumbles.

"I didn't deserve it..." He sobs.

"Hey Luke, pat it off, you're strong, both of us know that as a fact, but you're the only one who can show it." I say as I wipe the tears from his face. I kind of forgot Stella was still here, and I see as she stares at Luke awkwardly.

"What did you do..." She asks quietly.

"Really Stella?" I say annoyed. "Luke, you don't have to answ-" I try to say but Luke cuts me off.

"I didn't deserve it." he stated calmly, which took me aback. "I really did not, I was just there when two prisoners fought and so they thought I fought the guy, because the one left. They didn't believe me, but then they watched the footage after they beat me up and then lowered my sentence." He explained.

"How could they? Fucking idiotic people! Always accuse! They never get evidence! They take the side of whomever they think is right! What has come of this world!" Stella yells, and a guard looks sternly at her.

"Can't do anything. My mouth. I can say anything. All you can do is tell the judge." Stella says in a mock tone.

"Watch it. I could extend your time.." The guard threatens.

"You could. I'm already here until I die." Stella says, irritated, and I roll my eyes at her lie. I shift back to Luke, who is biting at his nails. Probably a nervous habit he has. I just rub his back awkwardly, since I don't know what else to do, and I can't help but feel awkward.