pAsAdEnA

'oi' I said to gabe as we began to slow down.

he looked up from the ground and stared at me.

'giant lobster.' I said, pointing towards a giant inflatable lobster that blocked most of the path we were walking along.

he turned towards the lobster but didn't even smile - not exactly helping the awkwardness that hung in the air around us - but then looked at me and laughed.

I smiled at him as he said, 'God, I needed that.'

huh?

he must've seen my confused face.

'I needed a bit of, you know, hUMoR?!' he smiled, trying to defend himself, 'or possibly just a giant lobster - one of the two.'

I broke into a fit of giggles before sighing, 'I swear we're going crazy.'

then he mumbled something in return that I couldn't hear.

'huh?' I asked.

he looked at the floor and, trying his absolute hardest not to look at me, turned forward to see JPL not too far away, 'yo look, look, JPL!'

he skurried forward, leaving me behind as the others caught up to him.

-

why would he do that?

what did he say?

part of me wanted to go up to him and ask him again, but there'd be no point. even if I had got him to tell me he could just lie.

but why would he lie?

come on, y/n, you're just digging your own grave.

-

we ran forward towards the desolate, overgrown building that had been JPL.

the glass windows were cracked, the walls were crumbling and there was a large hole that encompassed one side of the building.

all of that

for
fucking
nothing.

n o t h i n g.

'man this place got hit hard'

'the building is destroyed, nobody can survive that'

the radio continued to furiously beep out morse code, our only beacon of hope in this shithole of a predicament.

'he's still here.' said zhenzhen, smiling, 'doctor fielding's still here!'

'this way.' stated Alex, running to the right and (hopefully) the right way.

'IF WE GET OUT OF THIS ALIVE.' yelled dariush before pausing to breathe, 'NASA'S PAYING FOR MY THERAPY!'

truer words were never spoken.

-

we ran into the side of the building and made our way into a hallway surrounded by glass and lit by only natural light from outside.

'oh wow!' said Alex, for the umpteenth time going into full nerd mode, 'they're testing plasma rockets! those things burn hotter than the surface of the sun.'

ouch.

'look man, all we gotta do is get this key to Dr. Fielding. and then you can look at all the nerd porn you want.' said dariush, losing patience.

we walked for a bit in silence. no one said anything - we were all too focused on finding Dr. Fielding to chat.

suddenly Alex began to run.

where the fuck is this kid going.

' DOCTOR FIELDING! DOCTOR FIELDING! '

' WE HAVE THE KEY SIR'

'DOCTOR FIELDING'

'DOCOTR FIELDING?'

we all yelled as we ran around the room, almost tripping over wires as we searched.

I turned a corner and saw a man in a white lab coat covered with blood.

I held my breath and stepped backward, triooibg over a wire as I did so.

but I didn't fall onto the floor.

I fell into someone's arms.

'hey.' a soft voice said, 'careful there'