glow sticks n' food

'i shouldnt've hit you.' said gabriel to dariush, smiling, 'it was my fault.'

I looked up from my food and gave him a sideways glance, knowing that I had also punched him - oops.

'I don't know. I'm good bro, I mean,' he replied, then he lifted up his trainers and proceeded to say, 'it didn't hurt as much as seeing all this gunk on my new J' s '

what.

' how do you care about sneakers at a time like this?' asked Alex, rhetorically.

YES👏ALEX👏ASKING👏THE👏IMPORTANT👏QUESTIONS👏

' you know what? you guys are lucky. ' said dariush,' you don't have friends'

me and zhenzhen looked at dariush like the idiot he was.

'it's hard out here for a pimp you know. ' he said, making us all feel so extremely sorry for him, ' you gotta keep up with the flyest shit, you know, the dopest kicks, tightest whip, baddest chick. and my friends, they're like bears, you know. as soon as they smell weakness they're just coming straight at your neck. that's why I keep this on my neck, diamonds. '

'does dariush mean 'douchebag'  in farsi? ' asked Alex.

dariush looked around for one of us to explain, 'what's farsi? '

' it's the language your mum was screaming when you were coming out of her ass.' replied Alex, completely straight-faced making me and zhenzhen giggle.

'hey don't talk about my mums ass, alright?' said dariush, 'you wish you were there.'

no, we do not.

'poetic as you are dariush, and no offence, but they don't sound like friends.' I pointed out.

just then, neon green lights skimmed past the window, accompanied by the sound of a spacecraft.

zhenzhen put her finger to her lips, motioning for us to be quite - not like we needed to be told.

it passed just as quickly as it had arrived and soon we were left with silence.

'hey, how did you even end up in jail?' asked dariush.

no one said anything as we waited for Gabriel's reply.

finally he spoke up, 'my dad left... when I was about ten. You know, I got a job as a bag boy,
at a grocery store my mum worked at. To, you know... help her with money. One time she steps away, I took over the cash register. I was helping a customer, and, uh, he started to accuse me of stealing from him. I guess I gave him the wrong change. I get numbers... like, muddled in my head sometimes, unless I see them written down. But he didn't believe me. And, um... I just... I lost it. Broke his nose. Mum got fired and... they sent me away. She never came around to visit me once.'

no one said a word through out that whole thing - there was nothing to say.

' you can't choose your family. but you can always make a new one' said zhenzhen, breaking the silence, 'come on.'

'a young yoda up in here?' laughed dariush.

zhenzhen took out a small Polaroid camera from her backpack while we moved to get into he shot.

'come on guys.' said Alex, smiling

'oh, we taking an old school selfie?' chuckled dariush.

yes, douchebag. and I can't think of anyone better to do it with.

'one, two, three.' smiled zhenzhen as she took the photo of the five of us.

this felt more like a family than home ever had. and at least these people cared, even if they were annoying idiots sometimes. they were my family and I never wanted that to be taken away from me (or us). ever.