and then I punched him

'may i ask where we're going?' said Alex as he tried to catch up to zhenzhen.

'my jaw hurts...' muttered dariush, wiping his face with his sleeve to get the black goo off.

that shit really was disgusting.

'the astronaut said that this key can stop the aliens and we need to take it to TRL' replied zhenzhen.

'JPL' I corrected.

'a NASA facility.' said Alex.

'tastes like truffle butter.'said dariush as I gave him a disgusted look.

' dude don't eat it geez' I whispered.

'in the foothills of Pasadena' Alex carried on, 'I went there for a robotics contest once with my dad.'

he sounded sad when he said that, but I brushed past it.

'do you know how to get there?' I asked hopefully.

'without GPS? no probably not.' Alex replied, 'it's over 70 miles away from here.'

hold up a sec.

70 FREAKIN MILES.

how the hell do you expect us to go 70 MILES by foot?

'whoa, whoa, whoa, what?' said dariush, who always needed to be the centre of attention, 'wait you wanna head 70 miles into the city? the alert said to stay out of metropolitan areas, not head straight INTO them.'

'we don't have to take it all the way to Pasadena.' said zhenzhen in reply, 'let's just get this key down the mountain and take it to adults. tell them to take it to JPL.'

'oh god.' sighed dariush.

'we have no choice.' I said under my breath.

'Guys.' said gabriel, making me look up from the floor, 'there's a sheriffs station down a bit, we could get it to a cop.'

I raised my eyebrows at that.

why would a criminal want to go to a police station? makes no sense.

'that's a great idea gabriel.' said zhenzhen, with a wierd authority, 'now let's get some bikes and kick some ass.'

'damn girl your English is good.'said dariush while zhenzhen started walking to the bike shed.

' uh, guys sorry,' I started,' before you get the bikes, could I have a little tlak with gabriel for a moment. I'll be just a sec, sorry'

'yeah sure, we'll wait.' replied zhenzhen with a smile.

'thanks'

I motioned for gabriel to follow me as the others waited.

he finally followed and went round the back of the shed.

as soon as we were out of earshot I began.

'what are you doing?'

'I have no idea what you're talking about I -' he started, but I cut him off.

'okay listen here.' I said, walking closer to him, 'I saw you in juvie yesterday and you know it.'

he stared at me in shock.

'that was you?' he said.

'yes dickhead, it was me.'

'uh I uh' he muttered.

'I don't wanna hear it, why are you lying to them. they TRUST you - a freakin CRIMINAL!' my voice got louder and louder in a crescendo and I couldn't stop.

'you lying PRICK! what is WRONG with you? HOW ARE YOU NOT STILL IN JU-'

'shhhh, please, please.' he whispered to ge tm3 to calm down.

'why SHUSH? I think I have a pretty good reason to be SHOUTING RIGHT NOW!' I snapped back.

'please, Ill tell you if you stop, just please don't shout so loud, or they'll hear.' he exclaimed.

'fine' I said.

this kid was getting no sympathy from me.

'I escaped, okay?' he finally said after a period of silence.

I stared at him, shocked at what he'd just said.

'you cant be seri-' I began.

'I am, and I'm sorry I didn't say.' he apologised.

'that doesn't stop you from being a criminal - give me one reason I shouldnt punch you, right now?' I said, adjusting my stance to punch him square in the face.

'I really won't hurt you. I promise' he said.

whatever.

'don't make promises you can't keep.' I uttered as I punched his face - I didn't want to break his nose so I didnt use my full force - but I swear, if he wasn't the one that knew where we were going, I would've.

he looked at me, stunned.

'whyd you do that?' he muttered.

'you deserved it' I answered, ' and besides, I wanted to see if you would react or not.'

he stared at me quizzically.

'you're safe' I replied.