Chapter Thirty Three

Laura and Nathan both take a deep breathe after their long debate about their status as a couple and Everlynn can't help but laugh at the awkwardness between the two of them. Their relationship was always more hate than love but it's always been a known fact how thin the line is between love and hate. 

Everlynn glances over at Nathan with a small smile. "Can you give us a minute alone?"

He nods with a small smile before turning to Laura. "I'll be right outside, okay?"

She nods and watches him exit the room before turning back to Everlynn. "Is everything okay?"

"I need your help."

"Anything. What do you need me to do?"

"I need some answers. Was I in a relationship with Tyler before the accident?"

Laura's eyes widen and she stares at me a moment before answering softly. "You...you don't remember?"

I shake my head and speak with more determination. "I remember him, I know we're friends but that's it. I don't remember being anything more than Tyler's best friend. You should have seen him when he kissed me...I just sat there...he looked heartbroken."

"He kissed you?"

Everlynn nods and notices the sadness in her smile as she looks down at her hands in her lap. 

"Hey...Tyler told me about freshman year." She looks up at Everlynn in confusion and she just smiles back at Laura. "I guess I know now why you were so quick to befriend me. After four years I finally have my answer to our strange friendship...you were just trying to get close to Tyler."

Laura's eyes widen and she immediately begins shaking her head. "No...Ev...that's not-"

"Do you still love him?" Everlynn asks abruptly, interrupting her denial.

It seems Laura's eyes just continue to grow with every word. "Ev...I never loved Tyler. I have liked Tyler for a really long time, I will admit that but...he never felt the same about me and no matter how long I wait, he will always be waiting for Ever." She smiles at her use of words and glances down once again. She shakes her head and closes her eyes in attempt to stop the tears and takes a deep breathe before starring up at Everlynn. "I was a horrible friend to you and I am so sorry. My intentions at the start were not honest and I was just befriending you to get closer to Tyler but...I was also doing it because I was jealous."

Everlynn stares back at her in confusion and waits for her to explain. 

"I thought that if maybe we were friends I could steal back some of the lime light. I was so conniving and heartless...I'm surprised you stayed a true friend to me through it all."

"Laur, I never meant to steal anything and I'm sorry if you felt like I was taking your place at school and with your friends. I never meant to."

Laura shakes her head with a small smile. "No, I never should have taken those things so seriously. Since you've been gone I've had a lot of time to think and regret what a horrible friend I was to you. You are an amazing person, Everlynn Scott and if you will still have me as a friend, I would love to make it up to you." 

Everlynn smiles and reaches for Laura's hand, giving it a squeeze and a small smile. "There is nothing to make up, it's forgiven and forgotten."

Laura smiles and wipes away a few of her tears before chuckling softly. "And you know, I suppose you can have Tyler. After all, I do have Nate and he's...well..." She shrugs, unable to come up with anything. "...he's human at least."

Everlynn laughs along with Laura just as Nathan's head peeks back inside the room. "Laur, are you about ready? I need to be getting home soon."

Laura nods and turns back to Everlynn with a small smile before standing up. "I'll see you at school Monday?"

Everlynn nods as Laura begins walking towards the door. "Hey, Laur?"

"Yeah?" She turns back to Everlynn.

"Why do you think I can't remember him?"

She shrugs with a sweet smile before giving her thoughts. "Maybe fate liked your love story so much they wanted to see it play out once more just for the hell of it."

Everlynn smiles back at Laura, happy with her response and whispers softly. "I want so badly to remember."

"You will. A love story like yours? Those just won't be forgotten." She gives a quick wink before stepping out of the room and leaving Everlynn to her thoughts once again.