Chapter Twenty Six

"Explain these." She says firmly before sliding a few photos of Everlynn across the dining room table towards Karen and Tommy.

Karen slowly reaches for the photos, the worry evident in her expression. 

"Where did you get those?" Tommy asks after one quick glance at the pictures in Karen's hands.

"Is this that girl from school that looks so much like you?" Karen asks with a smile, desperately trying to play off the serious tone filling the room. "They were right about your resemblance but I must say honey, your beauty takes the cake." She chuckles, once again trying to play off the serious accusation sure to follow.

"Yes, it is the girl. Her name is Everlynn Scott. She lives with her family in a house off of Valley Pine. She lived there until two summers ago when her car was totaled off of I-94. The police searched for months but came up empty."

"That's horrible. You both would have won the prize for look-a-like day at school, that's for sure." She was getting fed up with Karen's consistent nervous chuckling, that's for sure, but there it was again and she couldn't help but lose her cool. She quickly stood up, causing a loud screech as her chair slid back again the tile floor. 

"Stop lying to me! Just stop trying to cover up what you did!! How could you do something like this to me!? How could you take me away from my family and force me to believe this lie about a whole other life?!" By now the tears were streaming down her face and all she wanted was answers. One more lie or attempt to cover up the truth and she wasn't sure how she would react.

Karen stands from her chair and slowly makes her way around the dining room table. "Sweetie...we didn't lie to you. We have no clue who this Everlynn is. Your name is Emily Jenson and y-"

"Shut up! Shut up! Shut up! My name is Everlynn Scott and you both are liars! I don't know who you are or why you would do this but I am through living a lie! I'm going to the police and sooner or later I will get my answers!" She quickly turns and rushes for the door but then that feeling of being chased returns once again, only this time she knows it's well deserved. Tommy was chasing her to the door and she could almost feel the scowl taking up residence on his face. 

She fumbles with the lock on the door and just as she unlatches the last bolt she feels his arms wrap tightly around her waist. She screams for help but her pleas are drowned out by the white cloth being shoved over her mouth. 

The smell drenched into this cloth was heavily intoxicating and it made her stomach lurch. She tried her hardest to fight back but she could feel herself slipping away. 

Her eyes were slowly starting to close and her fight became pointless. 

She was drifting away but just before she slipped into the dark abyss she saw quick flashes of light and images. 

They raced through her brain like trains giving her information one after the other and slowly she began to feel less confused...less lonely. 

Her life had people and names and numbers and those small moments that take your breathe away. 

Then...they did; her breathe was gone and her life was fading fast.