Chapter Eight

"Hey, mom?" 

She still felt weird calling this woman she barely knew 'mom' but Emily forced herself to say it and it seemed to make her happy so Emily wasn't about to make it a topic of discussion. 

Mrs. Jensen looks up from her book while she remains seated on a chair in the corner of the room. "Yes?"

"What was I like before the accident?"

Mrs. Jensen slowly lowers the book in her hand, obviously not expecting such a serious question in the middle of Saturday morning cartoons. Emily may be seventeen but she couldn't remember her childhood and that seemed like a good enough reason to defend her obsession with cartoons.

"Well, you were the same as you are now, hunny. You were beautiful, loving and free spirited...nothing's changed. Why do you ask?"

Emily shrugs and takes another bite of her cereal before turning back to the TV. "No reason. I just wonder if maybe the accident changed me at all or maybe you and dad like the old version of me better and that's why you fight all the time." She didn't mean for it to come out as a 'pity me' type of comment but obviously that's the way her mother took it because it didn't take more that a second before she was sitting beside Emily on the couch and dissuading her thoughts.

"Hunny, your dad and I love you very much and you shouldn't worry yourself with our fighting habits." Mrs. Jensen chuckles, trying to lighten the tension. "We're an old married couple, fighting is just what we've come accustomed to." She smirks before leaning forward and kissing Emily softly on the head. "You were a wonderful daughter before and I promise you are no less wonderful today." She pulls back and smiles at Emily. "Okay?"

Emily nods as Mrs. Jensen stands up and walks back over to her chair, returning to her Saturday morning reading. 

Emily should have known that asking about the accident was pointless. She never got any straight forward answers from Mr. or Mrs. Jensen. Her only guess was that they were just trying to forget about it but she wished they could see things from her perspective. 

She wished they could understand that the accident is her only memory; it's the key to her past and it's the only thing keeping her from experiencing her future.