Chapter Fifteen

Emily's eyes widen as she finally begins to understand the situation she walked into. "Sh-she disappeared? What do you mean she disappeared?"

Tyler focuses on his hands and begins talking softly while explaining the whole disaster one horrible word at a time. "The police found her car totaled off the side of I-94 nearly two summers ago. They say she must have wondered off after the accident but the truth is they haven't got a clue. The people in this town have been searching for almost two years and they have still yet to find anything...that is; until you."

"Me?" Her eyes widen. "What do I have to do with any of this? Just because I resemble her slightly?"

He shakes his head and focuses on her with intensity. "It's not slightly..." He drifts off and reaches into his back pocket to pull out an old photo he always kept in his wallet. It was a day a momento of the day him and Everlynn spent at the park when everything seemed perfect. The sun was shining and Everlynn was spinning around acting like a child, which is how she normally acted 99% of the time. He took a lot of pictures but this one in particular was unlike any of the rest, it was unplanned and taken quickly while she looked back at him over her shoulder with the wind blowing back her dark brown hair. "...you could be her twin. You are identical."

Emily stares at the picture a moment and for a moment it's like she's remembering but soon all Tyler's hope is crushed. She rolls her eyes with a small smirk and returns the picture as if it means absolutely nothing. "Maybe we resemble each other a little but her hair is a lot lighter than mine and she has a thinner nose."

Tyler practically scoffs at her silly attempts to make them look even slightly different. 

"Tyler, I am really sorry about your friend and I understand that you must be heartbroken about the entire situation but I have absolutely no connection to any of this."

He stares at her a moment, desperately wanting to see any traces of the lost girl but he came up empty handed. "Are you sure?"

"What do you mean, am I sure? Of course I'm sure. I think I would know if I had a twin."

"No, no...I know you're not her twin...I mean, Everlynn didn't have any siblings but I just thought that maybe..."

"Maybe what? Maybe...I am Everlynn?" She jokes, obviously seeing humor in her statement and he saw nothing but hope.

"Why don't you have any recent pictures of yourself? Of even pictures of when you were a toddler? Don't you find it odd that none of your baby pictures resemble you in the least?!" He could feel his voice rising and he regretted it immediately.

"Just stop! Okay?! Just stop!" He can see a look of pure agony spread across her face as she reaches up to cradle her head. 

He quickly rushes forward and puts a hand on her back. "Hey, are you okay?"

She steps back and he could swear he saw tears rising in her eyes. "You need to leave. Now!"

He nods and lifts his hands in surrender before slowly taking a few steps back. he suddenly hated himself for causing her pain. He just wanted answers and he found it impossible to believe that she didn't want answers as well. "Okay, okay. I'm leaving. I am really sorry I upset you, Ever." He said softly before turning and exiting her bedroom. 

He was halfway down the hall when he hears her shout back, "my name is Emily!"