Chapter Twenty

She stares down at the box in complete confusion before starring up at him in complete terror. "Tyler...I'm scared."

He quickly sits down on the bed and reaches for her hand, suddenly filling her with a rush of comfort. "Hey, everything's okay...what are you scared of?"

She slowly looks back at him, feeling her throat burn from the tears that are just moments from spilling out. "I feel like she's inside me...she's doing things I'm not aware of...she's trying to get me to remember." She could see his face go ghostly white and after repeating the words to herself, she heard just how creepy and utterly terrifying they truly sounded.

"Don't fight it. There's nothing to be scared of, Ev...you just need to try and remember." He gives her hand a gentle squeeze and looks at her with pleading eyes. "Just try."

She nods and finds her eyes gazing down at the box once again. "I think the box contains some of her memories."

"Everlynn was a sentimental person if something meant a lot to her, she kept it. I'm guessing this is where she put the important stuff."

Her hands reach down to the box and she slowly lifts the lid, revealing numerous things that at the moment meant absolutely nothing. There were a few journals, some movie theater tickets, birthday cards and a small black velvet box in the very corner. She was about to reach for the black box when the sound of a car pulling into the driveway causes her heart to sink momentarily.

Tyler stands up from the bed and walks over to the window before turning back to her with urgent eyes. "We need to go, now!"

"She's back already?" She asks in confusion while placing the lid back on the box.

Tyler shakes his head and steps towards the door. "No, it's your father. He must have been on a shorter shift today, he's home early. We need to get out of here."

She nods and quickly stands up from the bed before rushing over to the door where Tyler has just exited. She's about to step out when the light from the window catches something shiny sitting on the bedside table, causing her to stop in wonder. She squints her eyes in the light and notices a small silver necklace lying neatly on the table. Without really thinking much of it, she grabs the necklace and fastens it around her neck while catching up with Tyler in the hallway. 

The sound of loud footsteps coming up the stairs causes both of them to freeze in terror. Tyler quickly takes hold of her hand and pulls her from her trance and into the small hall closet. He closes the door behind them and the only sounds she can hear are his breathes matching her frightened ones. They are practically chest to chest in the small closet waiting for the footsteps to move farther away. She finds herself starring up at him and the small light shining from the cracks in the door allows her to see him in a way she hasn't yet seen; or at least in a way she doesn't remember seeing. His eyes were a beautiful blue and everything about him seemed physically perfect. The only thought that entered her mind was; how could a girl ever be 'just friends' with a boy as beautiful as Tyler Johnson? And then it suddenly occurred to her that maybe they weren't just friends. She hadn't even thought to ask if they were anything more and she felt stupid for not seeing it earlier; the way he looks at her, the way he desperately wants her to remember and the way she is drawn to him like she has some connection with him so deep it's magnetic. 

He slowly opens the closet door and peeks around the corner to check and see if the coast is clear before pulling her out of the closet and taking the stairs down to the kitchen. 

They quietly exit through the back door without being seen and leave behind a house full of memories lost on a person who has forgotten everything.