Chapter Twenty Two

"This is your house?" Everlynn asks while starring out the window of his car up at a beautiful large house with dark red shutters.

"Home sweet home." He says with a small smile before shutting off his engine.

"It looks...like home." She says so softly, she's surprised he hears.

He looks over at her with an intrigued smile while unbuckling his seat belt. "Yeah, that's the same thing you said the first time you saw it." 

She was grateful Tyler had brought her to his house at a time when neither of his parents were home. She really didn't feel like explaining this whole strange ordeal anymore than she already had and honestly, she was beginning to wonder if she really could explain anything anymore. This whole situation was becoming harder to explain by the day and until they found some answers and she tried to regain some of her memories, there was no explaining this situation.

"Sorry it's a mess." He says with a small chuckle as he opens the door to his bedroom revealing a typical seventeen year old boy's room. It was disorganized and extremely dark; exactly what she was expecting but something she wasn't really expecting was the wall just above his desk. It was like starring into a previous life she had no recollection of. 

"I look happy..." She says softly while starring up at the wall of pictures before turning to face him with a small smile. "...you look happy."

He smiles and takes a few steps towards her. "We were."

That two small words struck a chord somewhere deep inside her and she found it crucial to ask this one small question she had been holding back. "Tyler...you and Everlynn...you weren't..." 

His eyes widen and he starts to tell her the truth; it would be wrong to tell her a lie when she was trying her best to remember her life, right? But he could tell what answer she was searching for and he would have given her anything so he quickly shakes his head, giving her the answer she wanted and bypassing the truth with a crooked smile. "Oh...uh...no, no. Just good friends...just really good friends." He says before looking back up at the pictures. 

She was surprised it had never crossed her mind before but she just assumed they were best friends, she never once considered that maybe this boy who was desperate for her to remember was just desperate to get the love of life his life back. "That's good." She says confidently with one solid nod before starring back up at the pictures. "I just wouldn't want this to be any more difficult for you than it already is."

"Right, yeah...no...just friends." He says softly while continuing to stare up at the pictures and feeling his heart break more and more with each day that passed without a lost memory finding its way back into her heart.