Chapter Thirteen

The walk to Emily's house was strange and unfamiliar to Tyler. She lived down an abandoned road on the other side of town, whereas, his Everlynn used to live right smack dab in the middle of town. 

After she disappeared, Everlynn's parents retreated inside that big house in the middle of town. People came to their house almost every day for over three months after the disappearance bringing baked goods and canned food. They all wanted to help in some small way but instead they were making it even harder for Everlynn's parents to cope. Everlynn's parents practically locked themselves up inside that large house and to this day her father only exits for work and her mother every other week for groceries. Everybody knew Everlynn and everybody that knew Everlynn, loved Everlynn but it was safe to say that no one loved that girl as much as her parents. 

"Hi, my name's Tyler...I'm looking for Ev-Emily?" He stares back at the strange couple standing behind the door as they look him up and down from head to toe with a scrutinizing expression. They may as well have had a metal detector and done a body search for all the starring they were doing. 

Finally the man nods and opens the door a little wider for Tyler to come in. "She's upstairs in her room...you can go on up if you'd like."

He nods slowly and steps inside the house. Outside it held so much beauty but inside it looked as if it could be the setting for one of those Halloween fright night movies. The woman standing beside the man hadn't lost her glare from the moment she opened the door and before another word could be said, Tyler quickly made his way up the stairs and decided he would try and find Emily's room himself. 

The house was rather large and the upstairs alone held at least four bedrooms that he could see. All of the doors upstairs were closed except for one room which had a bright light from the window shining through and some soft pop music playing in the background. 

Tyler smiled and slowly made his way to the end of the hall. He stood by the door and looked inside to find Emily sitting at her bay window just starring outside as if she was somewhere far away. 

"Emily?" 

She didn't move a muscle, she just continued starring as if the world around her no longer existed. He knocked on her already open door and took a few more steps inside her room, still not quite sure if he should even be stepping foot inside the girls room without her permission. 

The pure blank stare she had on her face was a bit frightening, especially after the scene with her parents downstairs. 

Eventually, he found himself standing beside her and slowly reached down for her shoulder, shaking her gently. "Emily?"

He saw her eyes blink a few times and it was as if she was waking up from a deep sleep. She took in her surroundings and eventually found herself starring up at him with wide eyes. He just smiled down at her and she quickly stood up. "Oh...hey! Sorry about that...how long have you been standing there?" She asks and the terrified look across her face doesn't dare break.

He quickly shakes his head and answers her question to ease her worry. "Not long."

She nods and begins walking over to her bed to grab her school books. He couldn't help but wonder if that drift from reality happened a lot.

"I'm sorry about just barging in. I knocked but..." He drifted off, not sure how to finish that sentence but she just smiled and shook her head quickly changing the subject. 

"Don't worry about it; we should probably get to work."