Chapter Nine

How could it not be her?

Those six words echoed through Tyler's head for the rest of the day and that scene with the girl of his dreams literally haunted his dreams through the night. 

It was impossible that she had no connection to Everlynn, he thought.

How is it possible for a girl that looks that much like Ever to have no connection to her whatsoever? 

It wasn't possible. 

There was no possible way that this girl who looks exactly like Ever just happened to show up at Albany High just one year after her disappearance. 

Nathan took him outside after his encounter with Emily and told him to let it go. He told Tyler that he had to move on because he was only scaring the new girl named Emily Jenson but Tyler knew in his gut that her name wasn't Emily Jenson. Her name was Everlynn Scott and there was something keeping her from recognizing his face, there was something keeping her from remembering his name and all the amazing memories they made together. He was going to help her remember and he was going to show her everything they used to be. He lost her once but he wasn't about to let her go when fate had obviously brought her back to him for a reason. Two years ago Tyler was planning for the worst when he thought that he may have to leave Everlynn, little did he know the worst was unimaginable and it was Everlynn that would be leaving him.

"I'm not leaving for two years, Everlynn. We have all the time in the world." Tyler plasters on a hopeful smile for her benefit as they lay beneath the stars in the bed of his truck.

She turns to him with a saddened expression. "Then why doesn't that feel like enough?"

"Love is a matter of time."

"And forever is simply a matter of the heart."

Tyler smiles softly and leans forward, planting a soft kiss on her forehead before pulling a small black box from the pocket of his jacket. "This is for you. There's a letter beneath the cardboard."

"What's the occasion? I thought you said we have all the time in the world?" She questions smugly while Tyler just rolls his eyes in response. 

"We do but that doesn't mean I can't buy you something nice."

"Tyler..." Everlynn's expression changes suddenly as the small box slowly falls to her side. "Can you promise me something?"

"Anything." He moves a strange of hair from her face and waits for her request.

"Promise me that no matter what happens in the future; whether it be distance, timing, or...natural disasters," she laughs softly, "no matter what...we'll always find a way back. No matter what happens in the future, I know I'm never going to forget this, I'm never going to lose the way I feel about you right now. We'll always have today, this time and these memories. Nothing can ever change that."

Lying in bed that night, Tyler wished for nothing more than for that to be true.