Chapter Sixteen

That night Emily found it impossible to sleep and her thoughts didn't dare give her a chance. 

...was I Everlynn? 

...she disappeared around the same time my memories start...

...but then if I really am her...the people in the next room aren't really my parents...

...why would they lie to me?

...no, I can't be her...

...it makes no sense...

...why don't I have any current pictures?

...why do I look nothing like my parents?

~~~

The next day at school started out as one big mumbled blur for Emily. The hallways were more quiet than usual, but probably only to her ears. She couldn't focus on anything around her and she felt like everything she was doing was being controlled by some robotic force inside her. 

She sat down at her desk in third period English class. 

She grabbed a pencil from her bag and began writing down the assignment on the board. 

Her name. 

Today's date. 

She was completely oblivious to anyone around her, that was until she felt him. She felt his eyes on her and then she felt them wander down to her paper. She turned to look at him with pure agitation and found a small smile forming at the corner of his lips. 

"What?!" She says in a hushed voice but lets her anger get the better of her. 

She figures being harsh might cause him to retreat but he continues smiling back at her. In fact, she could of sworn if grew as he motions for her to look down at the paper on her desk. 

She glances down at her paper and suddenly feels sick to her stomach. She feels as though her head is going to explode and she may just throw up right there in the middle of class. She quickly grabs her things and rushes out of the room, leaving behind the paper that now has the name Everlynn Scott wrote at the top of the page.

"Ever! Wait up!" She hears Tyler's voice but the last thing she waned to do was face him. 

She practically bit his head off for suggesting that she didn't know who she was but the truth is...she didn't know who she was. She could be Emily Jenson or she could be Everlynn Scott. She was just as confused as everyone else; possibly more. 

 He takes hold of her arm and stops her from running any farther. She desperately tries to rub away a few of the tears that had escaped but he does that for her. He smiles at her a moment before pulling her to his chest and wrapping his arms tightly around her shaking body. He was the first person to do that since the accident, he was the first person that she felt honestly cared about what she was going through.

"My name is Emily." She chokes out through sobs and she immediately feels his head shaking above hers.

"No, it's not." He whispers softly and unlike yesterday, she didn't fight with him.

"Why would they lie to me? Why can't I remember who I am?" She continues sobbing into his chest, wondering why she couldn't remember anything and why these people she believed to be her parents had coaxed her into believing she was someone else entirely.

"I don't know, Ev...I just don't know but we are going to figure all of this out, okay? You have me...I'm not going anywhere...ever."

Along with all the other things she pondered on a daily basis, she had this to add to the list; how could these few small words, from a boy she barely knew, bring her such peace and assurance in such a confusing time? 

He was so sweet and she could feel the desperation dripping from every word he spoke. 

He wanted her to remember so badly and she wanted to remember. She wanted to remember for herself but for him most of all...but she couldn't but worry about the possibility that she may never regain those memories of her life as Everlynn Scott. Would this boy she was clinging to, as if her life depended on it, ever recover? 

Would she ever recover?