Chapter Twenty Four

Tyler looks back at her with the expression someone makes if they are about to get slapped across the face and she wondered if that's what he was hoping she would do. He was expecting some kind of reaction but all she could give him was a small look of surprise. 

"Laura had a crush on you?"

He nods. "Yeah, apparently she had for some time and that was part of the reason why she hated you so much. We were best friends and she was envious of our relationship. She finally built up the courage to say something on January 14th but I turned her down and I wasn't that nice about it. I told her there was no way I would ever consider going out with her when she treats my best friend like crap on a daily basis. I really let her have it too and I told her that if I would even think about dating her she would have to stop torturing you. Apparently she decided to take it all the way and befriend you completely. I think she was just trying to get closer to me but in the end it all worked out; she got over her silly crush and you both became great friends."

Everlynn shakes her head after the whole story and stares down at the diary a moment before looking back at him. "Wow...I can't even remember my life as Everlynn but I think she would probably be a bit mad at you. I mean, her whole friendship with Laura started because she had a crush on you and you forced her to befriend Everlynn."

Tyler holds up his hands in defense. "Hey, I didn't force anything. I just told Laura she had to stop torturing you, I never suggested she ask you to a movie; that was all her."

Her frown slowly turns into a smile. "It was kind of sweet what you did, though."

He smiles back and leans a little closer before whispering, "thanks."

She could feel his chest moving up and down as he leaned forward as her face turning a deep shade of red at the closeness between them. He didn't budge but she quickly turned her attention back to the small book in her hands and flipped a few pages before continuing to read.

February 10th, 2008

Dear Diary,

The big Valentines dance is in four days and I want so badly to ask out Joe from my biology class but I feel bad about leaving Tyler without a date. We always agreed to go to these things together but I thought he would understand. I'm fifteen and sooner or later I'm going to want to start going out on real dates. I tried talking to him about it today in free period but every time I brought up going with dates to the dance he would change the subject or give me those big brown puppy dog eyes that he uses far too much and always to his advantage. I love Tyler but why does it seem so different lately...why is he acting so strange?

She stops abruptly before finishing the entry and looks over at him with scrutiny. "Why were you acting so strange?"

"I don't know. Maybe I had just failed a test or something." He shrugs and tries to grab the diary from her but she quickly pull it from his grasp. It suddenly occurs to her that whether she remembered writing it or not; this was still her diary. These were her personal thoughts and here she was, reading them aloud to her guy best friend without a care in the world. The girl she was trying to remember suddenly feels very embarrassed and stands up from his bed. She reads the last part of the entry to herself very quickly before closing the diary.

"Her diary says you went to the movies to see the new movie 'Fool's Gold' January 14th with Laura, Nathan and Everlynn."

He nods slowly and stands up from the bed, probably wondering why the sudden movement and interest in movies. "Yeah, I remember."

"We should watch the movie." She says abruptly, trying to move on from the diary and hopefully make some progress by reliving the things in it.