Chapter 30

"Woah, slow down." Chris reached for me as I stepped out of bed.

Two days ago I woke up in the hospital to be told five days had gone by and it was the seventh time i had been told that over those five days. I had no memory of the accident but the bruises and cuts and scars and the concussion to remind me that it wasn't a joke or a lie. But still every time I wake up I'm surprised to look at the same ceiling i have been.

"I can walk." I started to get dizzy a few spots forming in my vision but I managed to wobble to the bathroom.

"Where is she?" My Da's voice rang through the door.

"Bathroom."

"She is not suppose to get up with out a nurse present."

"I thought that rule dropped yesterday."

"What if something was to happen when she got up."

"Then it wouldn't of been his fault." I said loud enough that they could here me.

I looked to the mirror raising my arm causing a sharp pain in my ribs. I lifted up the thin gown to reveal an assortment of colors. My body was noticeably thinner in a frail way. Bruises could be seen everywhere. My face had minimal damage glue over my left eye was the biggest fix needed to it. My left cheek bone had a small cut surrounded by a deep purple and my right face only had a few smaller cuts and my chin had a small bruise. I looked broken and gross.

I didn't actually break anything that needed a cast. A few ribs and vertebrae, my collar bone, but nothing that wouldn't heal. Nerve and tissue damage was another thing.

I hobbled back out of the bathroom my dad automatically running to my side grabbing my arm. I winced in pain not even bothering to cover it.

"Sorry. Do you need anything?"

"Do I get to stay here?"

"In the hospital? Just for another day, why-"

"No the Cape. I want to stay the rest of the summer?"

"We will worry about that later. One step at a time. Do you need anything?"

"Uh yeah solid food would be nice and a drink I get to drink myself."

"Yeah Chris can you-"

"No I need to talk with Chris can you go get it please?"

"Oh yeah of course."

He walked out of the room almost taking a nurse out. Chris was faced towards the large window that over looked a small part of Boston.

"What does it look like out there?"

"Busy."

"Could you do me a favor?"

"Yeah anything."

"My phone?"

"Oh uh yeah I have that."

He uncrossed his arms patting his pockets. Both of his hands were rapped in bandages. He found it in his back pocket and handed it to me.

"Chris?"

"Yes?"

"I never asked. What happened?"

"Ansley..." He trailed off giving me a look of distress.

"Do you remember it?"

"Every second."

"I don't."

"They have been saying it might come back to you."

"Yeah. But I want to know right now. I can barley even remember that day."