Chapter 13

"Can we discuss this!?" I yelled as Chris slammed the keys down on the kitchen counter.

It was a drive home in silence. We dropped of John and then every effort of talking to Chris failed. He just kept saying he didn't want to talk about her. I could see I was pushing him but he knew her better than I ever did.

"No! She left us can't you get that threw your skull! She's gone! That women in there is not our mother! She was dead when she walked out on us." He poked me in the head and stormed away fuming .

I ran after him.

"Chris!" He slammed his door in my face.

I slid down to the bottom of the door leaning against it. And cried for no reason what so ever. I guess just to cry about her leaving which I never did. Chris and Dad did a great job of covering up her disappearance.

The door opened almost making me topple over but I stood up not looking back and wiped my eyes with my hands. He pulled me into a hug and my knees gave way and we both just sat there on the floor as i cried.

My tears slowly came to a stop. And we hugged each other in silence. Something we hadn't done since we were kids. Our parents were toxic for each other they fought every chance they got and my brother and I grew close watching movies in his room and playing card games. He would keep me as far away as he could from them.

"Your nose is bleeding again." I looked up at him. And he stood up helping me up.

I picked myself up onto the granite counter and he handed me some paper towels. I put them right under my nose not wanting to touch it.

"She hit you hard."

"Yeah I know I felt it."

"Haha don't be a smart ass. Uh do you want to play spit and watch a movie."

"Old times?"

"Just like old times."

"Yeah I will make pop corn."

Chris walked out of the kitchen over to the TV putting it on a random channel playing a movie and took a deck of cards from the cabinet. I put a bag of popcorn in the microwave putting it on the popcorn setting and walked back to my room. Grabbing the extra blankets from my closet. Almost tripping over them for the umpteenth time I made it to the rug in the TV room. Placing them every where with Chris we made an area where we could both sit.

He delt out the cards and we played a few rounds of the game him winning just by a little.

"You have gotten better at this game." He smiled at my placing a king down.

"Yeah... I have got nothing. Flip."

"So Nash?"

"What about-"

"Spit!"

He slapped his hand down on the smaller pile landing him with less than half in the other pile.

"Hey! You did that to throw me off guard!"

"Yes Pansy my wise one. Set em' up"

I flipped over a card. Ace. Chris flipped a nine. I put my eight down over his card. Then a queen king queen jack over mine. Flipped over more of the cards in front of me. Six. Jack. Ten. Nine. Ten. Jack. Queen. King. Ace. Two. Three. Two. Ace.

"Spit!" Chris yelled and slapped the smaller pile.

"Ugh!"

"Still can't beat me."

"Whatever."

"Set em' up."

I flipped the top card off my deck and then in front of me. Two. The next top card faced down next to the two. Then the one on top of that face up. Five. The next two top cards face down next to that pile of two cards. Then the third one in the pile face up. Queen. Next three cards face down next to that pile one face up card. Ten.