Chapter 4.3 - Emerald - An Unkindness of Ravens

It has been a couple of minutes since we left the classroom. Usually, I would only walk back together with Helena. But this time however, White joined us on a search for the next team member for our group for the upcoming Music Festival. Honestly, this was a hassle but since Helena insisted it, I guess I have to live with it for a while. I'm not saying I hate being with White, I just don't know him. And you know what, it was quite a day especially when we get to recruit some of the interesting people in our classrooms.

"So who're you thinking of?" White wondered.

I answered to him, "I don't really know much of my classmates to be honest. Neither do Helena."

Helena simply nodded in agreement. She's always been like that. She doesn't talk much except only when it was necessary. Funnily enough, the three of us including White were introverts. Except that all three of us has a different level of introvert. I didn't really know that kind of thing existed at first but here there you go. But in any case, as we were walking around the campus we happen to come across a bunch of crows flying together in unison. It was...weird to say the least.

"Why is there so many crows?" I asked.

White then told me, "I don't think those are crows, Emerald."

"Then what is it?"

"They're ravens. A flock of ravens."

Then out of the blue, someone else barged in and said, "Actually, a group of ravens are called an unkindness of ravens."

We turned our back and saw a girl in black dress holding a lantern. Her hair was long and slightly messy and it was in dark blue colour. Her hair wasn't as messy as Zenith though, this girl has more decency to do her hair properly unlike that little girl. But then again, she's a gunsmith. She won't have time to do her hair.

Then I remember who she was, "Hey, aren't you from our class?"

She answered in a very hoarse voice, "I am..."

"Is your voice alright? You sound like you need some cough drops."

Helena then stopped and told me, "I think that's just how she is, Emerald. Am I right?"

"What Helena said was true, Emerald." The girl nodded.

White then said, "You must be um...Raven, right?"

She nodded and says, "Raven Rhodes. At your service."

White then asked her, "So um...do you know anything about those ravens?"

"Those ravens are mine."

I sounded very surprised, "Wait, those crows are yours?!"

Raven nodded and said, "Yeah. In fact, I have more than crows. Most of them are at the birdhouse though. I'm just letting the raven fly around a bit."

"Okay that's awesome, Raven. In fact, it goes well with your name."

White then wondered, "Say, if I may ask, Raven."

"Sure go on."

White asked, "Is your ability related to you controlling those ravens?"

"You're right. Almost."

"Oh? Then what is it, Raven?"

"The ability is called Avian Ace. It allows me to influence and control all forms of birds. It's not just ravens."

"That sounds cool." I was intrigued.

"It is. In fact, I can also see through the eyes of the birds if I wanted to."

White then said, "That would definitely be useful for recon purpose."

"And I can also communicate with them." After she said that, a single raven landed on her shoulder. "See? This one's here is their leader. Ebony is its name."

"Damn, if only I can communicate with these guys." White was clearly fascinated with Raven's ability.

Raven then told him, "You don't need to be able to talk to them to communicate with them, White. Think of it like how you deal with your pets."

"She's right. Understanding doesn't require speech. It can surpass that." Helena gave quite a quote there.

Then I said, "Why are you holding that lantern by the way?"

"Oh this?" Raven raised her 'lantern'. "This isn't a lantern. It's a birdcage actually. A really small one."

"A small birdcage? Never seen that one before." I was curious.

Raven then explained, "This thing is how I keep the birds in case I want to bring them outside of the bird house."

Raven then raised her other hand. After that, the ravens looked at her and began making their way toward her. She opened the cage door and let all of the raven fly into it. They went in like they were sucked into a black hole or something. My guess would be that it brings them to a separate dimension or something.

"I heard that you guys haven't completely found all members for your group yet." asked Raven.

White then asked her, "So uh...you want in?"

"Sure thing, White. You seem like an interesting person to be with."

"I am?"

"Well, I'm only basing it around what the ravens told me just now."

White was confused, "What did they say about me?"

Raven however shrugs it off and said, "Don't you guys still need a couple more of members to join?"

"She's right." I said. "The sooner we're done with this, the sooner I can head back to my bed."

Well then, I guess Raven Rhodes is now in our group. I guess that wasn't so bad after all. So far everything seems to be fairly fun. But I can't help but notice that Raven just shrugged off what White asked just now. I wonder why? But still, we now have another member for our group. I guess that's good enough. Now, onto the other one. I wonder what's up with Nis and Zenith. Hopefully their not in any sort of altercation or anything.

TO BE CONTINUED