Chapter 3.6 - White - Finding Alternatives

A wise man once said, 'Everyone has to eat'. It is the very basic principle that moves the whole world around. Food is the most basic needs and usually people will either produce it themselves or produce something else that they can exchange for food. We have evolved ourselves for decades and food production has become more efficient than ever. The wise man's word became a stuff of the old and in to the new phrase, 'Money makes the world go around'. It is now the very core principle that moves the people today to do a bunch of profitable activities. One of the basic form of gaining such profit would obviously by selling products.

The only reason I'm writing about this was because the other day I was looking for something that I need to get. But later I found out that such a thing couldn't be found in the local market. Which brings us to the beginning of the story...

After realizing that I was looking rather gloomy on the very first day of the 2nd semester, Yumiko went and approached me. At first, I was a bit sour toward her considering how she always acts the way she is toward me. But she happens to found out that I was looking for this specific item. In fact, she already has it. I was actually looking for a book that was about ancient writings. Remember when I told Officer Roy that I've learn some ancient writing from my friend Mei way back in high school? Yes that was the thing. It made me want to find out the rest of it. I also want to be able to read some of these ancient writings that I kept seeing recently. I wanted the book but Yumiko won't simply give to me. She will on one condition and that is I have to go shopping with her. She said that she needs someone to carry a few things that she couldn't bring along.

"Why don't you just use your portal to carry those stuff?" I told her.

"The things I'm getting doesn't simply work that way, White. In fact, we aren't going there by teleport. We're walking to that place."

"Are you serious?"

She smirked and said, "Meet me after the test, White."

And that brings us back to the situation at hand. Yumiko decided to go out for shopping. I didn't really know what she wanted to get at first but the very first thing I figured was just a bunch of girls stuff. But then I realized that why should she even walk there when she could use her portal to travel quicker? It just made think of a lot of different things that she might getting.

"Where are we going anyway?" I asked her.

As we continued to make our way to the destination, she replied, "We're going to the biggest marketplace in this area."

"The biggest marketplace?"

Yumiko explains, "It's called, Eveiht and its the largest place where you can get almost any kinds of product found throughout Crestia. They also have imported goods as well, of course. You can almost say that the place itself is an entire city of its own."

"An entire city based around products? And this is all controlled under the rule of the government, I presume?"

"Of course they are. But it's not like its fully controlled by the government. You know that Crestia is a mixed economy country. Combining both capitalism and socialism. Both the public and private sectors shares the economy. You know how that works right? I'm sure you learn something back in high school."

"As a matter of fact, yes. I did. I had an economy class back then but I barely remember most of it. But I'm happy to say that I'm still not lost from our discussion."

"Alright then..." Yumiko continues, "In Eveiht, most of the place is filled with private companies. What about the public ones? Well it is barely there. I mean it is a city of market, not a normal city with housings and whatnot. There is still some buildings that belongs to the government and the most prominent one is the customs. They are the one who controls the movement of product coming in or out of the city."

"I see. So they have an exclusive customs besides the one on the country's border."

"Exactly, White. I'm glad your smart enough to know these basic things."

"Most of our friends in the academy are almost turning 20 and we should know about these things, Yumiko. It's nothing to be surprised of."

"I know, I was just testing you, silly."

Then asked her another question, "With all said and done. What are you getting?"

"A bunch of stuff."

"That's pretty vague. I should really know what I'm getting myself into."

"Alright, alright. If that's what you really wanted to know. I'll tell you what it is. Later. But first...we are here..."

I didn't realize after having that boring conversation ended up with how quick we've reached our destination. She was right, the place was a city of market.

"Wow, I guess you're right. Plus, maybe I might get something here."

"We're not exactly here yet, White."

"What do you mean?"

"Follow me."

Yumiko lead me into a bunch of different alleyway to the point that I almost got lost. We finally stopped in a dark alleyway.

"Yumiko. What are we doing in this dark alleyway? There seem to be anything being sold over here."

Yumiko smiled and told me, "That's because its down there."

"Down there? What are you talking about?" I only saw a big puddle, nothing else.

I starred deep into the puddle expecting something to appear but there was none. Until suddenly, I felt a gentle push from behind me. Yumiko pushed me. I thought I would be splashing down the dirty ground but what I ended up was finding myself in a underground city. It was bustling with a bunch of people. It was almost like Eveiht. But it also feels different.

"Where am I?"

Yumiko suddenly appeared behind me and said, "as you might have guessed already, Welcome to The Secret Underground Market Also known as, The Home of The Biggest Black Market in Crestia, 'Eveiht'."

"Eveiht...Wait...If this is Eveiht. Then where were we just now?"

TO BE CONTINUED