Chapter 14: The Who

A man travels the world over in search of what he needs, and returns home to find it.

-George Moore

°°°°°°

DANIEL WAS AN AMAZING COOK, Edith swore anything he made tasted like art. She wasn't very good with that subject but if art had a flavour, it would've been Daniel's food.

"Angel!" he called out to Edith "Set the table."

The blonde put her UNO cards down, making her way towards the kitchen and finding her foster parents working in harmony side by side.

"Hungry for pizza?" Joanna's voice was sweet as Edith nodded happily.

The teen grabbed the utensils quickly, already starving and skilfully settling them down and watching as Daniel took their dinner out of the oven.

"I'd make a joke about pizza," he said, looking at Edith with a glint in his eyes "but it's a little cheesy."

The blonde groaned. Ignoring her father, she called out to Emily and told her to come and eat.

"You thought about the Stanford thing, dear?" Joanna asked a few minutes later while they ate.

"Not really." she said honestly "I also like Twin Cities. It's also good and I'd stay here." Edith munched thoughtfully "I still have a really long time to decide."

"You think that and by the time you realise it, you're already packing your bags. Time flies, angel." Edith nodded, knowing Daniel was right.

"Is it because of Chance that you don't want to leave?" Joanna asked worriedly.

"No! No, it's not because of him." Edith didn't want to admit she'd miss her family a lot. She wasn't used to being without them "I'll think about it."

Emily noticed the awkward mood and chirped in "Mum, you're taking us to the cinema later right?"

"What did you want to watch?"

"Flashdance!" the sisters said happily, the younger adding weird hand movements for added effect.

Both Emily and Edith enjoyed immensely that kind of movies and made sure to always watch them together. West Side Story, Grease, The Sound Of Music. Edith's favourite would always be Rebel Without a Cause. Judging by the various posters of James Dean hanging on Edith's walls she really loved him.

Chance didn't like movies. He just liked sports.

"I'll take you." Joanna chuckled "Remember to call your father when the movie is over. We've got a reservation for that fancy Italian."

Daniel used a mock Italian accent "Ciao Bella. As Zelo didn't meet our little Emily's standards."

The teen rolled her eyes playfully.

"Ciao Bella is the best. Sue celebrated her birthday there last year." the brunette sighed. Edith laughed quietly, wondering how her little sister could be already a snob when she was so young.

Looking around, Edith wondered how she could be away from them. How could she say goodbye to the family that had been by her side since the day they met. Imagining it was sad, it was scary. Edith often felt anxious when she was alone.

°°°°°°

Edith watched with guilty eyes as her friends were attended by Hank. The tall man insisted on checking on the blonde first but quickly gave up when the agitated teen started freaking out and insisting her team should go before her. Edith was hurt all over but she held the pain in as she trailed after Hank, apologising to her friends one by one over and over again.