Chapter 7: The Bath

I'm selfish, impatient, and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I'm out of control, and at times hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.

-Marilyn Monroe

°°°°°°

SPEAKING TO CHANCE AFTER THE INCIDENT IN THE BATHROOM had been hard to Edith, but everything seemed to be okay as long as both of them pretended none of it happened. It was like a silent agreement, and though it terrified the blonde, it seemed for the greater good. It scared the teen to even think of the possibility that Chance had any idea of her being different.

If a kid like John had to disappear, what would happen to her?

Making up with Chance was easy, Ellen seemed like a harder challenge.

The tall fellow cheerleader sat in front of her, studying her cup of coffee carefully. Edith had requested if they both could meet and, though Ellen seemed reluctant, she finally agreed. The café was busy around them as the two friends kept silent, avoiding each other's eyes.

"I'm sorry." Ellen's usually sweet and cheerful voice suddenly sounded worried and depressed, stress dripping from her words "I made a mistake. It shouldn't have happened."

"You know it's okay, Ellen, I just..." Edith crossed her arms over her chest "I didn't understand why."

"I didn't have a reason, I just wanted to do it." Ellen's usual confidence seemed to return quickly as she laughed merrily. Edith felt a little confused at the sudden change "Don't look so flattered, Di, I don't like you or anything."

Edith released the breath she didn't realise she was holding and snorted herself.

"Trust me, you wish you were with someone like me." taking a sip of her own frappè, Edith felt herself relax slowly "Thank you though. I'm sorry too, you know. I was an asshole."

Ellen shook her head "It's okay really. You probably have a lot in your mind."

Edith tilted her head.

"Wait, you don't know?"

"I don't know, what?" Edith felt a little self conscious then.

Did people saw her tripping during cheer practice? It was hard to do her tricks now that she wasn't using her powers anymore. Or was it her hair? Her makeup?

"Oh my god, you don't know!" Ellen's eyes widened, taking Edith's hands between hers "Okay, it's nothing too big. I don't think you should worry, really. I don't personally believe it. Like when they said I was pregnant because I had the flu-"

"Ellen!" Edith hissed the taller's name, snapping her out of her ramble.

"Oh! Right, sorry!" Ellen's grip in Edith's digits tightened slightly for a moment "Sally has been spreading rumors about you being a mutant."

Edith pulled her hands back as if she had been burnt. Her eyes were wide and the words seemed to get trapped in her throat. Anxiety made it hard for her to breathe, Edith felt her whole world crashing down with just a simple sentence.