Chapter 15: The Guilt

Above all, be the heroine of your life, not the victim.

-Nora Ephron

°°°°°°

ENGLISH WAS A LESSON EDITH DIDN'T ENJOY EVEN THOUGH SHE WAS GOOD AT IT. She didn't pay as much attention as she did in science, not really interested. She felt like it didn't make sense, there was no harmony and no perfection like the one she found in science. The blonde would often talk with Ellen, sharing anecdotes and trivial topics that were much more interesting than whatever nonsense Mrs Thomas was rambling on about (the teacher had recently gone through her second divorce and spent all day moping and drinking).

Edith made her way into the classroom thinking about asking Ellen to help her choose from the various cassettes Emily said she'd love to get. The blonde frowned as her brunette friend avoided saying hello back, only tucking a strand of her hair behind her ear. Ellen wasn't usually shy or weird, and seeing her tick both boxes worried Edith.

"Did something happen?"  she asked, dropping her textbooks with a heavy thud. A few classmates turned in Edith's direction but she didn't seem bothered.

"No, it's cool."

"Oh. Okay."

Silence engulfed them as Edith felt confused and upset.

"Did you have a fight with Lucas?" Edith remembered Ellen only ever looked upset when her boyfriend was being a dick. The blonde drummed her fingers against a textbook absent-mindedly. It annoyed Ellen but she didn't complain.

"We broke up." mumbled the brunette.

Edith gaped in surprise.

"But you two were like soulmates!" her voice was a little too loud and Mrs Thomas sent a glare her way. Edith lowered it to a whisper as she turned towards Ellen "What happened?"

"We were not soulmates. It just didn't work out. He said he thought I liked someone else." Ellen answered. She turned towards her blonde friend, a meaningful look in her eyes "He wasn't wrong. But it's okay."

Edith bit the inside of her cheek as she grabbed Ellen's hand gently, hoping she could feel her undying support, her worry. She didn't really know what to say so she kept quiet. The brunette shook her head. There was something she had hoped Edith would understand without even needing to saying it. But she didn't. She never did.

°°°°°°

"Happy birthday!"

Edith felt like she was about to cry once she realised where she was and who was there. Her eyes scanned the meadow, her beautiful field full of flowers. It looked even more mesmerising under the afternoon sun. Close to the edge, two tables had been set, the first filled to the brim with food and the second with two objects Edith couldn't identify because of the wrapping paper. A big banner had been hung to the branches of two big oaks. It read 'Happy Birthday, Eddie'.

Her friends were standing in front of her and the blonde could finally understand why they had been so weird all week. They were planning a surprise party for her. Edith had been so busy studying and moping she forgot about her own birthday. Was that even possible? Who forgot their birthday? She felt stupid and upset, though the flattery and happiness were also there too. A cocktail of emotions that felt a little too overwhelming as she remembered her past birthdays, as she remembered the Duncans.