Chapter 18: The Relief

Mathematics is a place where you can do things which you can't do in the real world.

-Marcus du Sautoy

°°°°°°

S

ALLY WAS A PERSON WHO NEVER SEEMED TO HAVE ENOUGH. She had the most expensive car. The prettiest clothes. The Beckers had a lot of money and their youngest daughter always made sure to flaunt it every time she had the chance. Edith never really minded, her family had money too so she never really had any reasons to feel jealous.

But Sally never, never, had enough. She wasn't satisfied getting the boy she liked, the popularity she thought she deserved and her many parties. Not while Edith was out there minding her own business, living her life like nothing mattered.

Edith felt her whole world shatter when she saw the pictures hanging on every wall, every locker. It was from Sally's latest party, when Edith accidentally attacked Chance. It was inciminatory, it was obvious. And everyone was looking at her. And suddenly she couldn't breathe. Edith observed her own frame, both hands lifted and pointing in Chance's direction. The picture had been taken from a weird angle, like the door was half open and the Polaroid camera was old.

"I told you I wouldn't stop until everyone knew, Duncan." Sally was the only one brave enough to walk close to Edith as the blonde gaped at the picture hanging from her locker. Edith heard the whispers around her then "Thank Reidtard and Chance, now you have no secrets to hide."

Edith turned to find the two males in the crowd that had formed around her. She spotted Chance first, looking shocked and with sorry eyes. Her eyes met Reid second and his expression mirrored the quarterback's

Edith expected herself to feel upset, to feel betrayed and cry out of frustration. Instead, an unnatural rage filled her. A fury so deep and blinding the blonde had to walk away. She had to leave, or someone would get hurt.

"Edith Duncan is a mutant?"

"I knew it."

"She seemed to innocent to me."

"Disgusting."

"She's not going to hurt us is she?"

The voices grew louder and louder as Edith shook her head and took a step towards her right. The students looking at her gave terrified looks as they made space for the blonde to walk through. Edith walked, not knowing where to go. Not knowing what to do. She heard the hurried steps behind her but she didn't turn around. She needed to get away.

"Edith, I-I'm sorry." Reid grabbed her arm with the intention of stopping her and realising his own actions, he shot his hand back as if she had burnt him. Maybe she had, Edith felt her anger make her feel too warm and too dangerous "I didn't take the photo. I swear!"

He had to be lying. Sally wasn't smart enough to plan something like that and Reid was the only one obsessed enough with her to do something like that.

"Don't you dare lie!" she yelled, not failing to notice the way every locker in the hall rattled as if they were about to come alive "Stay away from me!"

"Duncan!" Mr Taylor's voice boomed behind her, somehow managing to sound louder that Edith's "What is the meaning of this? Come with me inmediately."

The blonde took a deep breath, feeling her mind clearing as she trailed after Mr Taylor. The teacher closed the door of his office shut after her, finally breaking his strict facade and showing a panicked face.