Chapter 11: The Sea

Fear cuts deeper than swords.

-George R. R. Martin

°°°°°°

CHANCE AND EDITH DIDN'T SPEND TIME ALONE ANYMORE and people were starting to make more and more rumours around them. The blonde wasn't really preoccupied about people calling her a mutant behind her back anymore. No one dared to say it straight to her face but she could tell they thought about it whether they looked at her.

It was all Sally's fault. The one who sparked up every rumour.

"Sally, we need to talk." Edith walked up to the other cheerleader. The short-haired, younger teen turned around with a fake smile, seizing the blonde with sharp eyes.

"Eddie, love! What's up?"

"You're up." she said automatically before shaking her head, flustered "I mean, I know you were the one who started the rumours about me being... a mutant."

Sally smirked briefly before widening her eyes.

"So you heard? Oh but doll, I would never do that!" she said "You know me. I always say things straight to people's faces."

There was something in Sally's expression that shifted. Suddenly, all the feigned innocence in her features shifted away. A look of anger crossed her eyes and it made the teen look evil and malevolent.

"I know you're a mutant, Edith Duncan."

"What?"

"You heard me." she snorted, crossing her arms "I know I'm right, you can't even deny it. Listen to me, slut, I'll do anything in my power until everyone knows your dirty little secret."

Edith narrowed her eyes, small and defensive. Feeling like saying anything would make things worse, the blonde turned around and stalked off.

Edith felt terrified as Sally's threat sunk in.

°°°°°°

A few weeks passed by and Raven was getting more and more on Edith's nerves. She did improve, though, as Raven finally allowed her to use the Danger Room. Though the blue woman settled it in a level one, Edith felt useful and proud of herself as she lazily fought against a small robot. It seemed like a joke and Raven seemed mad Edith wouldn't take it seriously. But how could she? Level one seemed too easy. It was like Raven had no faith in her whatsoever. Like she just wanted the blonde to fail.

"If you don't take this seriously you're doing fifty laps around the school." the blue woman said over the microphone. Edith looked at her incredulously as the level one started again.

The robot crept towards her, its pace slow and boring. The blonde knew she could do a million things to break it but instead, she wondered what Raven wanted to see. Maybe something flashy. Maybe something to show her just how capable she actually was. Edith focused, ignoring the strain in the back of her head (the teen was already getting used to those headaches) and felt the energy pulse through her arms, creating a visible white aura around her. Edith jumped, shifting gravity and guiding her own body until she stood on top of the robot's head. The blonde swayed slightly but found her balance quickly, pressing her hands against the metal and feeling the energy. She sensed each and every wire, every little and big part of the machine. The feeling of self-awareness was overwhelming but Edith could handle it. She knew she could. Finally, the teen was able to take over the robot, making it destroy itself as if possessed. It teared its own limbs off and dug a whole where his main mechanism was until it shut down. The blonde braced herself for the fall. Luckily it wasn't big and she rolled to avoid any kind of pain.