Chapter 10: The Mall

Choosing to be positive and having a grateful attitude is going to determine how you're going to live your life.

-Joel Osteen

°°°°°°

THE DUNCANS HAD MANY TRADITIONS AMONG THEMSELVES, most of them regarding food. Family dinners, the pumpkin meal, smoothie day, Sandwich Friday... As a child, Edith loved each and every one of them. Growing up, though, the blonde grew more and more tired as years went by. The blonde often invited Chance because he felt like family to her and he didn't really get along with his. The Blacks had no Thanksgiving, no Hannukkah, no dinners all together. Edith pitied her boyfriend and didn't mind having him over, he seemed to enjoy himself too.

Though it was weird. Joanna and Daniel were wary of Chance and Emily felt like he didn't like her. He probably didn't, Edith didn't know.

Since the incident in Sally's party, the blonde found herself feeling slightly anxious around Chance. He knew the truth, he could ruin her life. If Edith was honest, it was weird he didn't. If she didn't have her own abilities, she would be terrified of mutants. The thought of Chance being different sparked in her head. Was there something weird about him? Anything? Edith couldn't come up with anything suspicious enough.

"Em, if you didn't know about my magic," Edith asked her sister as they prepared for dinner. The younger was already done and waited patiently for her sister "would you find me suspicious?"

The brunette thought for a minute, humming in wonder.

"I don't know. Maybe. But I know you." Emily grinned cheekily "You do get really anxious when people mention mutants, though you're usually anxious so that's not really suspicious."

Edith rolled her eyes playfully "Gee, thanks."

"Did something happen?" Emily now looked worried.

The blonde realised she hadn't told her sister. Edith gaped, dropping her brush and sitting beside her sister on bed.

"Yes, actually." Edith tried to find the right words to explain. It was hard "I kind of used my powers on Chance."

Emily's eyes widened "What?!"

"I know..." the blonde whined "It was an accident. But I'm sure he knows."

"Oh, no. But what happened? You would never do that."

Edith bit her lip, deep in thought "We argued, it wasn't important."

Emily seemed hesitant to believe her sister but chose not to push it.

"I think Chance might be a mutant." Edith finally said, a serious look on her face.

Emily doubted it but if it put the blonde at ease, she would go with it.

°°°°°°

The seven teens sat quietly in Charles Xavier's office. Peter and Scott seemed completely sobered up and just looked embarrassed like all the others. Edith couldn't help but remember her old times in the cheer squad when she was getting in trouble constantly. Still, the thought of disappointing Charles made the blonde feel guilty and sad. Raven paced in front of Edith and her friends, going on about a rant about responsibility and just how mad she felt. The blonde wouldn't lie, she wasn't really listening.