Chapter 8: The Angel

For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone.

-Audrey Hepburn

°°°°°°

THE COLD SURFACE OF THE KITCHEN COUNTER WAS LIKE A BREEZE OF REALITY AGAISNT EDITH'S FOREHEAD. It felt like she was trying to freeze her own thoughts. It was an upgrade from the light banging of her head against the marble surface from a while before. The teen groaned as she listened to her mother, her foster mother's footsteps getting closer.

"Edith." the woman said as she opened the fridge.

"Joanna." answered the blonde moments later, her voice tired and strained.

Edith wasn't comfortable with calling Joanna and Daniel mum and dad. Sometimes it slipped, but it didn't feel right so the teen tried her best to be on just a first name basis. They were really close, but she needed to make sure to remind herself the Duncans weren't her natural family, though they sure felt like it sometimes. The blonde didn't care, she knew they loved each other deeply and that was okay.

"Why aren't you in class?"

Edith returned during recess once she felt the stares becoming too much. It was probably paranoia, she hadn't felt that way until Ellen mentioned it. It was as if everywhere she went, not just school but literally everywhere, everyone knew her secret. The blonde felt like she was carrying a label that read "HELLO, MUTANT HERE. HIDE YOUR CHILDREN".

"I threw up all over Mr Stewart's shoes when he asked me if I knew the Porompompero." Edith heard Joanna's gentle chuckle.

A gentle sound let Edith know that her mother had pushed something in front of her. Still, the teen didn't look up.

"And the truth?" Joanna's voice was gentle as she patted the blonde's locks.

"I'm too cool for school, Joanna, you know me."

"Eddie, you're a sixteen-year-old with serious self-esteem issues. Did something happen?"

"Gee, thanks."

Joanna slurped on a straw loudly. The woman made the best smoothies Edith had ever tried. The teen felt slightly hungry as she remembered the various recipes her foster mother had developed through the years.

"Are you going to lift your head, angel?" the woman's voice now gentle and worried. Edith shook her head, pressing her forehead a little closer to the counter. A sigh followed by shuffling as the mother sat beside her adopted daughter "I'm worried, Eddie, you know you can tell me anything."

For the first time since her mutation first manifested, Edith wondered what would happen if her mother knew. Would it make anything easier? The blonde quickly dismissed the thought, it didn't matter. She promised she wouldn't use her powers anymore after she hurt Chance.

Edith panicked quietly as she came up with a lie that was convincing enough. Once she realised Joanna would see right through anything she could say, the blonde decided to stick with a half-truth.