Chapter 21: The Parents

THE BOSS TREATED EDITH LIKE SHE WAS HIS DAUGHTER. Which was a little weird. And as long as Edith felt numb, she accepted the appreciation, the nice words and the delicious food. Sybil didn't seem to like her, though and always gave her suspicious looks and threatening glares whenever she thought Edith was too sassy or too mean.

"Hide, you know what?" the Boss asked with a sigh "We've been watching you for a while. You're really valuable to me."

Edith frowned, "What's with the nicknames?"

"Safety." he smirked "Would you like to know my real name?"

The blonde nodded slowly.

"I need you to do something first."

The teen rolled her eyes.

"Look, I know my parents sold me off to you and that you think you own me. But I'm seventeen, I don't need the whole 'Oh, do me a favour', 'This is gonna be a secret between the two of us' pedo shit."

The Boss looked startled before he bursted out laughing, "I don't have that kind of interest towards you. The only desire I have is power. You're powerful, so I admire you. Not in a sexual way, don't be scared of me."

Edith preferred to believe him, but she couldn't help but feel paranoid.

"I want to use your ability to make people disappear."

An hour later, Edith stood beside the Boss with a horrified look. She watched as people fought desperately. People like her. With unique powers. The blonde felt sick. She felt like she had been thrown straight into hell. Edith wanted to hate her parents but she couldn't. She deserved it. And she was going to endure it.

The blonde wasn't going to kill anyone, though.

"Ten, Hide." the Boss announced to the enormous crowd that had gathered to watch such a sick show "May the defeated suffer a dignified death."

Sybil pushed Edith towards the arena, not giving the teen time to react. All the humans cheered and the blonde felt like she had just finished one of her cheerleader routines. Still she hadn't. Edith was pushed into a position where she had to become a murderer. An executioner.

"I'm not doing this." she hissed in Sybil's direction.

"Do it, or you'll be one of them."

Edith gulped, turning towards the first kid in front of her. He was an extremely young teen, and the blonde felt pity and sadness go through her.

"What's your name?" Edith whispered. 

"Jake. Jakey." he mumbled "You're not going to make me disappear, are you?"

Edith shook her head, "I'm not. Don't worry."

Edith went through her options as she put a hand on top of Jakey's shoulder. He flinched visibly and the blonde focused on wanting the kid away, as far away as she could get him. Edith remembered than one time Emily and her discovered she could teleport people and wanted to go to Disneyland really badly. The blonde focused on grabbing each particle of Jakey with her mind and throwing all of them towards a known place. A happy place he could find himself in. She thought of the meadow naturally. The Duncans travelled them often and camped and had fun.

When Edith opened her eyes, the crowd gasped as Jakey disappeared. The cheers came quickly as the blonde felt sick. About to throw up. How could they be glad something like this happened? People were rwallt horrendous.