Chapter 16: The Boss

A real friend is one who walks in when the rest of the world walks out.

-Walter Winchell

°°°°°°

JOANNA AND DAVID WERE BUSY PEOPLE AND, THOUGH THEY TRIED THEIR BEST, THEY WEREN'T ALWAYS AROUND. Emily seemed to care more than Edith did. The blonde tried too, to be a good sister, to be comforting and nice. It's always hard.

The Duncan sisters usually spent their Saturdays either hanging out with their respective friends or staying home by themselves. They'd eat together and play around. Edith would study and then she'd help Emily with her homework. It was comfortable, though monotonous sometimes. And that was okay, Edith thought messes were troublesome, avoidable. She was tired of the drama, tired of rumours.

Chance seemed to have the opposite idea.

"What are you doing here?" Edith asked and cringed as she caught on the horrible scent of alcohol. It was early and he didn't call, what was her boyfriend planning?

"I came to see you." he slurred, looking Edith up and down and walking past her.

The blonde closed the door with a sigh, following after Chance as he made his way blindly around the house. He found the kitchen and opened the big liquor cabinet, scanning through its contents with curious eyes.

"That's, Daniel's." Edith scolded, prying the bottle of scotch out of his numb fingers "You're drunk. You can crash on the couch or you can go home."

It had been the first time in weeks since the couple found themselves alone. Edith wasn't really comfortable: she knew her facts. She hated Chance when he was drunk.

"Are your parents not here?" he asked, a suspicious tone lacing his words.

Edith's anxiety skyrocketed as she put the scotch bottle back in the cabinet, closing it with determination.

"They're not. Emily's upstairs though." the blonde frowned as she registered Chance's scoff.

The man tugged her closer, snaking his arms around her waist.

"I know what you are. But don't worry I'm keeping your secret," he whispered against her hair. Edith's eyes widened, not really expecting him to say it to her face "Don't give me that look, angel."

Chance's voice sounded sickeningly sweet as he pulled her a little closer and kissed her sloppily. Edith closed her eyes but didn't dare return it. She couldn't move. She couldn't think.

"I do you a favour, you do me a favour." he explained, as a matter of fact, nipping on Edith's neck harshly "You owe me that much, babe."

Edith's eyes watered as she tried to register the thought of everyone finding out. Her life would be ruined. Not even Daniel and Joanna knew, what would they do if they did?

Chance noticed Edith wasn't paying attention and bit down hard onto her neck, pushing her not so gently into the wall. The blonde snapped out of her daze and pushed him. But he was strong, he didn't even budge.

"Eddie, are you okay?" Emily walked inside the kitchen with worried eyes.

Seeing her sister seemed to make something inside of Edith snap as she used the strength she had buried deep inside of her, punching Chance's cheek with all her might. The quarterback backed away, muttering a million curses as Edith rushed to Emily's side.

"What the fuck, Chance?" he looked furious, squaring his shoulders and looking at the sisters like a predator about to pounce "Get out of here."