Chapter 6: The Danger Room

A leader is best when people barely know he exists, when his work is done, his aim fulfilled, they will say: we did it ourselves.

-Lao Tzu

°°°°°°

EMILY SHUFFLED THE DECK OF CARDS WITH SKILLED FINGERS. Her eyes trailed over Edith's face, worried and concentrated in avoiding her sister's glance.

"Chance called. Mum said to tell you that he was sorry and that he needed to see you."  the twelve-year-old spoke, getting only a hum as an answer.

Neither of the twins spoke again, the room only filled by the lyrics of Total Eclipse Of The Heart playing in the background could be heard. Edith tapped her fingers to the rhythm of the ballad, one of their mum's favourites. The sisters were alone, though. Not like either of them disliked that fact.

"It's been a while since you did a magic trick, Eddie." Emily pondered as she split the UNO cards between her and Edith. The blonde looked at the ones in her hand lazily.

"Yeah, I think I should pretend I have no powers."

"Why?"

"I don't know, I feel like a freak sometimes. I don't want anyone finding out."

"Eddie, no!" Emily put her cards down and ignored her sister's confusion, hugging her tightly "Don't say that! You're not a freak. You should appreciate yourself, because you're amazing."

Edith patted Emily's head affectionately.

"How are things going at school?"

"Good!" the younger answered. The siblings had discarded their cards, content by the conversation "I had a fight with Sue and Luna last week but we worked it out."

"You argued? What happened?" Edith felt bad she didn't find out earlier.

Emily looked a little embarrassed to admit it.

"They were rambling about mutants being evil." Edith's eyes widened as the brunette spoke "There was this guy in my class, John, he did this weird thing with fire. Fire! It was so awesome but everyone was so scared. He hasn't come back ever since."

Emily thought for a moment. Edith found her very mature for her age and smiled proudly.

"I don't know what's so wrong with mutants. If they're all as nice as you then they must be good."

"It's not about what species you are or are not." Edith had thought about it a million times "Who you are doesn't make you good or bad. I haven't met any mutants so I wouldn't know."

Emily noticed Edith's strong denial and frowned. Neither of them had ever called Edith a mutant. It was avoiding the obvious, the blonde knew it. But until someone pushed the facts onto her, Edith would not accept it.

"What happened then?" the older sister asked.

"Oh, right!" Emily focused "I defended John, obviously. I never really talked with him but he seemed like a nice guy. And then Sue and Luna said I had to be evil because I was taking his side! Can you belive that?"