Chapter 19: The Fight

The Duncan household was completely empty by the time she got home. Edith panicked quietly as she paced back and forth, wondering just how could she explain everything to her parents. It wasn't an easy thing to say. She couldn't just sit them down and come out. Maybe Emily could help, handle their initial, natural panic so Edith could apologise for hiding the truth for so long. The blonde realised with a sigh that she had to prepare for the worst and organised a small bag in case Joanna and Daniel freaked out and kicked her out.

The door opened quickly and Emily walked in, giving Edith a confused glance before she threw her backpack to the floor. The teen sat on the couch, staring at her panicked sister.

"Whatcha doing?"

"Everyone knows." Edith stressed, running a hand through her hair "I... I don't know what's going on. I walked in and everyone knew. Everyone was scared of me. They called me a monster."

Emily's eyes widened as she threw her arms around Edith, embracing her older sister.

"You gotta tell mum and dad for real. They'll help you out."

Edith nodded slowly, having doubts but wanting to remain hopeful for Emily. Both teens sat down and waited in silence, every second feeling like a painful hour.

The doorbell rung a few minutes afterwards, insisting and bothersome. It was clear that whoever it was, it was neither Joanna nor David. Edith grew annoyed quickly, flinging the door open without thinking it twice.

"Angel, you have to listen to me."

"The hell, Chance, fuck off." his feet stopped the door from closing on his face as he gave Edith a pleading look.

"You have to hear me out. I didn't tell Sally anything. I didn't even know she knew." Edith tried to push the door with all her strength but failed miserably when it didn't bulge "Listen to me! I didn't tell her because I'm like you."

The blonde froze. She stepped back slowly and looked up at Chance's face as he opened the door wide. It felt as if she was seeing him for the first time. Like time had stopped. Like the world has stopped spinning. He must've been lying. It couldn't be true. Edith shook her head, anxiety already making her stomach feel heavy.

"I can feel emotions. And snippets of thoughts." he whispered "It's like I'm numb all the time, and suddenly I look at you and I sense your anger, your disgust with me. I hear things you don't say, things you wouldn't say."

She officially didn't believe him. Edith couldn't trust him. She couldn't after everything he did. As if he was pushing all the blame on Edith.

"Get out." she mumbled.

"I'm so sorry, Edith. I'll fix this. I'll fix us." his voice sounded sure as he walked past the door. The blonde could feel as Chance sent waves of calming energy towards her. Edith realised he wasn't lying as the emotion hit her, which was even more scary. What to think? What to do? The teen just wanted to leave, she wanted everything to disappear. Her head was beating with a pounding headache and it was hard to keep her thoughts straight "Edith, I love you, okay? Focus on me, I know what you're feeling. It's okay."

Edith didn't have many panic attacks but when one did hit her, it was like a hell on earth.

It was aggravating and she tried her best to push Chance's power off her. Fury filled her, denial and frustration and a thousand of other feelings too as she tried to understand the situation but failed miserably. It was getting harder and harder for Edith to breathe, as if someone was pushing down her ribs. Chance stood right in front of her, bringing his hands up slowly to grip Edith's shoulders.