Chapter 13: The Power

The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and science. 

-Albert Einstein

°°°°°°

IT TOOK EDITH A LONG TIME TO CONVINCE MR TAYLOR THAT THERE WAS NO NEED TO ACT, THAT SHE WAS OKAY. The teacher was furious. Edith had never seen him like that. In the end, after repeating she was exaggerating over and over again, he finally seemed to calm down and believe her. Mr Taylor pulled her into a short hug and begged for the teen to tell her parents.

Edith lied and said she would.

The blonde knew it was wrong, she knew it wasn't right. But Chance was a weaker man than he'd ever like to admit, and Edith pitied him immensely. Maybe she was exaggerating. He didn't do that much, he usually touched her like that and got drunk and made mistakes.

Chance Black dropped his walls on very few occasions and it was rare to see him apologise. So Edith was very surprised to find a bouquet of roses in front of her locker, a big note reading a big heart-shaped sign on the door. The teen snorted playfully, not really understanding why. They made up already. They were talking again. And hanging out together with all their friends. Maybe he wished things could go back to the way they used to be as much as Edith did.

"You like it?" his husky voice didn't sound so bad or as embarrassed as he should've felt. But Chance was a shameless guy and Edith was easy to please. And he knew.

"I do." she turned to look at him, pecking his cheek softly and admiring the roses carefully "What's all this for?"

Chance smiled, "I just felt like doing it."

His rough hands cupped his girlfriend's cheeks, pulling her a little closer and kissing her deeply. It was soft and short and sweet. If they truly liked each other, Edith would've felt her heart warming up. Chance pulled away roughly, cursing and hearing the sound of the camera much more clearly than Edith did. The brunette turned around, glaring and looking furious once his eyes found Reid. The black-haired teen shivered, clutching his camera tightly with both hands.

"What the fuck do you think you're doing, Reidtard?" he hissed, rolling his sleeves up and looking like a predator ready to pounce.

Edith could only watch and flinch as Chance slapped the object off Reid's hands. The blonde let the bouquet down slowly, panicking quietly and feeling anxious, already knowing what was about to happen.

"I-I didn't take a picture of you Chance, I-I swear." Reid stuttered. How he could be Sally's older brother, Edith didn't know.

"Sure doesn't look like it, douchebag." Chance pushed him until Reid's back knocked roughly against the lockers. The black-haired teen whimpered, hands raised in surrender "Were you so desperate for another beating, uh?"

Reid shook his head fearfully. The teen sneaked a glance at Edith and the blonde could just feel his anxiety, how scared he was.

"Chance, back off." Edith said, wondering where were the teachers when you needed them "Let's just go."

"You're taking his side?" Chance practically growled, looking at her incredulously. Edith tried to answer but was quickly cut off "You know what? Never mind. Fuck you. Both of you."