"I only paint pretty things"

His classmates crowd around him again this week looking at another artwork Kokichi had painted over the short weekend when he was bored.

This type of thing wasn't new. All the "Oooo's" and "ahhh's" are all typical reactions. He didn't even do anything particularly amazing, he just painted a picture of the trees with the colors of fall. The sun shining through the leaves with his black cat in the foreground. Why did he bring it to school? Because he promised his art teacher he'd show her his paintings he did in his free time. (Something about wanting kids to be more creative at school and at home but Kokichi never complained) plus the art show was after school today and this could be another painting he could add to his collection of pastel drawings, picture based off values, or watercolor. That would make ten artworks this year.

Maybe he could finally get first place. He keeps getting second because of that Angie Yonaga girl. Sure he looks up to her skills but it would be nice to be first for once.

"Hey Kokichi! Can you paint me?" One of the kids asked, a normal question and Kokichi gave them his normal answer.

"Nee-heehee! As much as I'd love to, I only paint pretty things!" He giggled. Which wasn't a lie, he really only liked to spend his time painting things worth looking at again. Which means they were preferably beautiful things or fun to stare at or observe.

Kids laughed at his comeback and carried on with their day. School was boring like usual, Kokichi did well in most subjects but math was terrible. He could do the math itself but the class was taught by someone who called themselves a teacher telling them how to do a problem. Not teaching them.

It caused Kokichi to get frustrated and he didn't like getting frustrated. So maybe after the art show he could go to the park? It was hardly cloudy today and he has seen beautiful sunsets there. He just never had the time to go. Maybe this time he could.

After his school classes he skipped over to his art teachers classroom. "Heeeey Ms. Suisai! Your faaaavorite student is here!" Kokichi said as he ducked his head into the room to scan for his teacher. "Ah, yes, hello Kokichi. Here to set up for the art show?" The teacher asked gently. She always was so kind, even through Kokichi's terrible behavior inside of class.

"Nope! I set up earlier yesterday before school, I brought in something I did over the weekend. Could I put it in my display? Or is it too late?" Kokichi asked setting his painting on her desk so she could see. She gasped and took the painting in her hands. "Kokichi... this is amazing!"

Kokichi smirked. "Well of course it is! Anything I do is amazing!"

Then she continued to look at every aspect of the painting. "Not your grades, those are questionable." She said still smiling. Kokichi stuck out his tongue at her, having no other comeback. "But of course you can still put this in your display! I really love your clash of colors, and that kitty is adorable! Just give it a name and set it up!" Kokichi nodded and took his painting back. "Oh and Kokichi, I had forgotten to announce that other schools were invited to the art show. Since our school has a really great art program, the headmaster thought it would be nice to show other school what we are capable of." She said, with a proud smile on her face.

Kokichi couldn't help but smile as well, that really was good news. His school wasn't all that particular out there. So knowing other schools were coming to see his and many other students handle work is exciting. "Wow! That's really awesome! What schools are coming? Do you know?" Kokichi asked. He knew of the top schools but that was it. He doubted that those schools would come but it could happen.

She thought for a moment. "Hmm I think there were only three invitations sent out... I may be wrong but I think the headmaster invited Tenokawa high School... Haruhara Academy ...and Yugaoka University." She finished. Kokichi's jaw dropped. "No. way. Those schools? Haruhara Academy? I know this is a big art show and all but wow. The headmaster really wanted to make us look good. You must be proud of Angie then."