დTwenty-Two❧

დ❧

"Pierce..." My voice faltered as I was stunned to see my asshole ex-boyfriend some ways from me. Seeing him and the others only spiked my panic. My mind kept switching from focusing on the Society Agents in front of me and the agonizing screams, gunfire, and explosives behind me. 

I glanced at Eli whose blood-orange gaze was scanning the group. He was calculating his next moves, I could tell. His family was in trouble. His people. As one of their Saviors, Eli had a responsibility to protect them. 

 My attention went back to Pierce whose eyes narrowed at me. His jaw muscles clenched, looking back and forth between Eli and me. I already knew what he was thinking and I wasn't going to deny it if he confronted me about it. Which he did.

"Finally caught up to you, Wren." Pierce glanced at Eli who turned to look at him when Pierce addressed me. Eli's lip curled with a low growl. My ex-boyfriend narrowed his eyes, turning back to me. "And why am I not surprised to find you hidden away in this fucking place?"

I didn't say anything. Instead, I scowled at him, mentally trying to figure out how to get Eli through to help the Alliance. 

Pierce shook his head, scoffing that it pissed him off that I would choose 'Whitmore' over him---that Pierce was my boyfriend and he would have done anything for me.

"Oh, really?" I mocked, brows raised. 

"Yes!" Pierce snapped back. "I was in love with you, Wren! We..." he raised his brows, craning his neck forward as he motioned between him and I. "Were in love with each other. You told me that you loved me!" 

I glanced away, frowning a bit as Pierce went on that I was the only girl who made him feel what he felt. That no one else could replace me. So when I sided with defending Bryce and not standing with Pierce, I had, apparently, broken his heart. 

My eyes flicked back to Pierce. His own gaze narrowed again. "As if that wasn't enough..." 

Pierce turned to Eli, wolf eyes meeting humans, as my ex-boyfriend spat that now I was siding with the very creature who took his brother away from him. My heart dropped, eyes widening as I remembered about Morris. Those pictures that were taken of what had been left behind from the werewolf Morris confronted. 

I never drew the connection---despite knowing about it. But that wasn't Eli's fault. He was being attacked. What else was Eli supposed to do? Morris would have killed him if not the other way around. 

I looked up at Eli who gave me a brief glance then went back to focus on Pierce.

As a Hybrid, he was clearly aware of living with the repercussions to killing one Societal Member who would have family involved with the Society. This wasn't new to him nor was it affecting him. 

"So this is the infamous Werewolf Hybrid..." Pierce sneered, his tone low. "The one everyone fears. The 'Phantom Werewolf'." 

Chuckling, he looked at Sven still in his aiming stance. Pierce's best friend glanced at him then back to us. Pierce shook his head, swallowing hard as he looked hurt at being present in front of the Werewolf who killed his brother. 

In that aspect, I would feel bad for him as I knew how close Pierce was to Morris. And Morris truly loved Pierce. Their father was a different story but the brothers took care of one another---so losing Morris took a part of Pierce. Maybe that's why it was so easy to convince him that Werewolves were the enemy.

"'Wraith'... is what they call you, right?" Raising his brows as he waited for a reply---which Eli didn't give---Pierce tilted his head. He looked at me as he directed to Eli, "But I guess only those close to you know you by your real name..."