დOne❧

დ❧

Bryce and I have managed to stay ahead of Pierce so far for six days. There hasn't been any sign of him or any of the others. Which was always good for me. Especially when I am traveling with a Werewolf teenager who is being hunted down along with the rest of his kind.

From the woods, we managed to get to the main road and from there---after I made sure it was actually deserted---Bryce and I walked along the side of the road, hoping to find a place that we could rest comfortably.

The past few days, Bryce and I had been taking turns keeping watch while the other slept. But sometimes even then it was hard to get a good sleep. The constant worry at the back of our mind that we'd get caught always kept us from sleeping too long. Every now and then, Bryce would wake up in a panic and I'd have to reassure him that he was okay. That I was there and we were both safe.

He wouldn't go back to sleep after that.

So now we were driving in a truck that had been parked at a gas station. Yes. I stole it. Sue me.

While the man had walked inside, I silently motioned to Bryce to follow me and to stay low. We stooped to keep hidden from anyone inside the gas station as we made our way across the dark road and under the flickering lighting.

For once, I was grateful that the rain was pouring down so much to use to our advantage. Even with the bad days, there is always something good...

I glanced at Bryce, waving him to keep following me until we were crouched beside the driver's side of the truck. Placing a finger to my lips, I gestured silently for him to stay put. He nodded, brows furrowing with that look on his face where he wanted me to be careful. I gave back a small smile then nodded as I moved away from him.

Slipping to the bed of the truck, I reached up to curl my fingers over the edge for a good grip. My knees were bent and allowed me to push up a little, peering over the edge of the bed to see where the truck owner was. I could see the small Asian man behind the counter looking at something on the TV propped on a metal cabinet across from him. My gaze narrowed, looking around for any sign of the other man I'd seen earlier.

He suddenly came into view with an armful of snacks and drinks. He placed everything on the counter, inaudibly speaking to the man behind the counter greeting him. The truck driver nodded, pointing at the cigarette case behind the man then looked down at his wallet to count out the payment.

I bit my lip, knowing that I wouldn't be able to get Bryce into the truck fast enough and take off in the truck. I hate resorting to stealing but this was Bryce's life we were talking about. When I looked back at the man in the store, he was being handed his bag of purchases and then said something where the Asian man nodded, turning away. He came back into view with a small brown ruler that had a key attached to it.

I grinned, grateful the guy had to relieve his bladder and then ducked down, hoping he wouldn't come around the side to the driver's door and spot us. I glanced at Bryce, placing my finger to my lips again. Bryce frowned, swallowing hard just as we heard a door from the truck open and the shuffle of the plastic bag.

Looking upward as I focused on the sounds around me, the man was talking to himself about having to 'take a piss and then split' to get home in time for some late night sleazy shows on Cinemax. My brow lowered, nose scrunching as I looked upward then looked at Bryce who grinned a bit at me. I rolled my eyes, shaking my head and impatiently waited for the guy to slam his truck shut.

His footsteps were fading so I twisted around and peered over the edge again. My brow rose, carefully ensuring that the man walked fully around the building for the bathroom. Now I needed to move. And fast.