დFour❧

დ❧ 

 I didn't put much thought into Oakley's words. 

I didn't let myself. I couldn't let myself. Not when I had Bryce to worry about. Until I can verify that this truly is the safest place for him, I can't let myself relax. I can't let myself get distracted by anything... or anyone. 

Not even tall... kind-eyed... handsome... playful Werewolves. The kind who doesn't seem to smile very much but when he does... sigh... when he does it makes my knees buckle and my hands get clammy and I just can't think of anything while looking at those deep, dark brown eyes. 

My eyes squeezed shut, nose scrunching while I took in a deep breath and held it for five seconds. When I opened my eyes, I was back to staring at the dark ceiling of the guest bedroom in the Dennison home. 

Since I wasn't a Werewolf, I couldn't see the ceiling very well but I knew it was there. The shadows of the night took advantage of my human sight and made everything blurry. Like I was looking into a dark hole. 

My mind went back to thinking about Oakley's words my first day here in the Alliance. And it went back to when I first met her older of two brothers and the way his eyes locked with mine the moment attention was drawn to us. It was difficult to describe why I felt so vulnerable at that precise moment. Why I allowed his hand to reach up to my face and let his fingers touch my cheek. 

I could still feel the warmth of his fingertips against my skin, now that I'm thinking about it and it only makes my heart race. 

Shutting my eyes again, brows furrowing, I remembered that moment when Eli stood in front of me and spoke to me for a moment. I could still picture it... before the she-wolf from Hell made her appearance.

Oakley grinned weakly, raising her shoulders as she whispered as low as possible so her brother couldn't hear, I guess, with how close she leaned towards me.

"She really is nice, Wren... I grew up with her around. But... I just think you shouldn't take anything personally." 

My brow shot up, blinking back that that depended on what the teenager was referring to. 

"I just mean..." Oakley glanced away then back to me. "Whatever happens... Eli really won't let anything happen to you." 

What was that supposed to mean? 

Why was I so special that her brother---the main one around here, apparently--- needed to ensure my safety?

From who? Or what?

I didn't get a chance to ask Oakley because she turned to face the she-wolf that was storming over with purpose. Her gold-hued eyes locked on me as she growled at the man nearby that he wasn't to be walking around unattended. Especially with invaders.

My brow rose, blinking at that 'invaders' word. Then I took in the she-wolf's appearance and I suddenly felt a little self-conscious. 

Ruby---as I now knew her---was gorgeous. I have never seen a she-wolf like her before. 

I think what made her stand out among the other females was the color of her hair. It was a pristine white and it fell straight down her back in a long slick high ponytail. It swished side-to-side as she walked (Fine, she stomped, but even that she did gracefully. That just wasn't fair...) and my face got hot when I took in her outfit. 

Though she was covered on the important parts of her, the loincloth she wore was black and had a few colorful beads on the strings that hung at each side of her hips. She wore a top piece to match but even though she didn't have an enormous rack it was still decent enough that the rest of her was accentuated by her long tanned torso and legs. Even with the hours of strenuous training, I was put through back at the Society quarters, I didn't look anything close to Ruby. Her abdomen was cut and not an inch of fat on her.