Chapter Twenty-Four

"But the thing about remembering is that you don't forget." --Tim O'Brien, The Things They Carried

{Chapter Twenty-Four}

I felt extremely guilty about the whole Danielle situation. I mean, she was my best friend after all. It felt like we were avoiding each other ever since the day I woke up at the hospital. We have been avoiding each other. I keep getting this strange, guilt feeling every time I see her. She did have the right to ignore me. If the situation was reserved, I'd probably do the same thing to her. But not for this long. Now it just feels like I have a empty hole in my stomach. I got no one to tell the Nate and Ben stories to. I got no one to share my popcorn with. I got no one to scream with me during scary movies.

Danielle would fit it perfectly into every single one of those categories. Sure, there was Amy and her little group of cheerleaders. But it just didn't feel the same like it did with Danielle. It's like, I can never be like "Oh my god! This totally reminds me the time of when we both..." Because we only knew each other for two weeks. Unlike where Danielle and I knew each other for years.

So I decided to talk to her during lunch. I gave Amy and the cheerleaders a quick goodbye and walked over to where Danielle was sitting with her posse of "friends." I grasp the lunch tray tightly and tried to pace myself as I made my way over.

She was laughing out loud at something her one of her friend's said. I quietly sat down at the end of the table, trying not to make any noise. Unfortunately for me, the whole table noticed me. Danielle of which was the last one. Her eyes quickly scanned over me as she let out a scowl.

"What do you want?" She snapped, not even bothering to look me straight in the eyes.

"I want to talk," I muttered softly.

She cupped her hand over her ear and shouted, "What was that?"

I swallowed the lump that was rising in my throat. This time, ignoring the curious stares from the table, I loudly said, "I want. To talk. Clear enough for you?"

She rolled her eyes. "Fine. Just give me a few minutes while I deal with this loser," she indicated to her table. Ignoring the fact that she just called me "loser."

I pulled her into the corner near the trash bins. "What do you think you're doing," I hissed in her ear.

She stepped back a little. "Excuse me? What does it look like I'm doing?"

"Umm well to be quite honest, I think you're acting like a bitch," I state the truth. She looked like she had just been slapped, and that's when I instantly took it back. "Sorry! That-that didn't exactly come out the way I wanted to."

She shook her head. "Why did you bring me here, Scarlet?"

I gulped again. "I wanted to talk to you. About us. Where we stand."

She tilted her head up at me. "God, you make it sound like we're in a relationship."

I smiled a little. She still had that sense of humor. "Yeah, I know. I just wanted to say that I'm sorry. I really am. That was stupid and dumb and idiotic of me to do. If only I knew sooner that Nate was cheating on me."

Danielle's jaw dropped. "Wait, what? He's cheating on you?!"

I bit my lip hard. "Yeah I'm pretty sure. But there's also Ben news!"

Danielle's eyes widened. "Spill out all the deets. Now."

"Your wish is my command," I joked.

"I'm serious. You're going to tell me anything and everything. No lying, no making stuff up-"