Chapter Seven

{Chapter Seven}

  In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock. ~ Thomas Jefferson

"Students, we will have a new addition to our class today." My history teacher, Mr. Rogers, said loud and proud to our class.

Heads snapped up, pencils stopped drawing, and everyone froze in place. A new addition?

This was major, major news for Jeffterson High School. The last time we had a new student was back in fifth grade. Even then, she turned out to be those rich, preppy kids who immediately switched schools after she saw our poor ass town.

So a new student here was like declaring another world war to the world. Everyone was suddenly interested in what Mr. Rogers was saying.

I would've been excited. I REALLY would've. But it was too bad that I already knew who the "new" student was.

Out of the doorway, came Nate. He was wearing baggy jeans with a black Adidas tshirt. His hair was disheveled, making him look hotter. Over the past two days he was here, his skin did get a little tanner. So it was no wonder that all the girls were already eye raping him.

"Can you please introduce yourself?" Mr. Rogers asked in a monotone.

"Well, uh...I recently came back from California." He started off in a dazed way. Mr. Rogers nodded.

He added on, "I'm Nate, by the way."

That earned a few chuckles from the class.

Mr. Rogers sighed. "I'm assuming you all know this kid." It was hard not to giggle when he said 'kid' instead of 'Nate' I could already tell that he was gonna hate him.

"Nate, you may go have a seat." Mr. Rogers addressed him by his name this time.

Nate looked around the classroom. His eyes landed on mine for a brief second, but he continued to ignore me. "Where?"

Mr. Rogers looked around the class as well. "Hmm. How about...uhh...how about you sit right behind Scarlet?"

"Who?" He asked. My heart felt like it was dropped to my chest. The whole class let out a bunch of "ooohs"

Come on. How old are we?

"Ahh, so you are new here." Mr. Rogers commented. "Scarlet, can you please raise your hand?"

I numbly raised my hand, earning a few smirks from the class. We've all known each other since like, what kindergarten? Everyone in here (except for Mr. Rogers, of course) knew the history of Nate and I.

Nate made his way over to me and sat down in his chair. I didn't say anything to him. I didn't have to. 

Girls were already starting to twirl their hair and flirt with him; while the guys gave him a few "Hey man"

He was already starting to become popular. Well, technically, he already was popular.

He did that weird, half hug/half handshake thing with his old friends. I had to admit, it did make me smile to see him talking to his old friends again.

"Okay, okay. Everyone calm down." Mr. Rogers ordered in a annoying tone. Under his breath, I heard him mutter, "Seriously. Y'all are crazier then pigs when there's a new kid."

No one listened to him. Every single person was too engaged into Nate. Most of them were having- or at least trying to have- a conversation with him.

Everyone except for me.

I actually followed Mr. Rogers instructions and started to work on worksheet about the Civil War. Halfway through it, I felt a poke on my poke. I tried really hard to ignore it, but a few seconds later I felt another poke. I gritted my teeth.