Chapter Twenty

"If you tell the truth, you won't have to remember anything." --Mark Twain

{Chapter Twenty}

My dad was forcing me to go to school the next morning. No matter how much I tried to convince him, he wouldn't listen. I even gave him my best I Was In The Hospital For A Week, I Deserve A Break look but he didn't even hesitate to change his mind. 

"Your missing important education, Scarlet," he told me. "You can't afford to miss another day." 

"Dad," I argued, "people have been in the hospital for one day and their parents let them stay at home for weeks." 

"Well I'm not those parents now, am I?" 

"But dad I-" 

"This conversation is over," he said strictly. "You're going to school and that is final." 

There was no point to argue with him now. So here I was the morning of my first day coming back to school. I took a quick shower and brushed my teeth. Rummaging through my closet, I found an outfit that would suit me for the day: skinny jeans with a blue cardigan over a white tank top.

Then I curled my hair and let it fall loosely, making sure not to over-do it with the hairspray. I applied some eyeliner and strawberry lip gloss and checked my hair once again. Pursing my lips, I walked out the door, not even bothering to pick up my breakfast or say goodbye to my dad. 

This was probably one of the strongest hatred I felt towards school. I usually wasn't the person who hated going to school. Sure I hated all the tests and lame projects teachers made us do. Which teenager doesn't? But I honesty didn't mind it. I had friends, decent grades, and I was a pretty outgoing person. School was my least of my worries. 

Just not today. 

First there was Danielle; who for some reason was still ignoring me. I mean, I understand that leaving a GNO just to hang out with Nate was wrong, but it's been over a week. Can't she just let it go? I already apologized a million times through texts and calls-all of which she ignored- and I just couldn't take it anymore. I loved her for saving my life at the hospital and I even thanked her a million times. She just kept ignoring me. 

Then there was Ben. I couldn't get him out of mind. And it wasn't in a good way.

Everywhere I went, I saw him and that blonde chick together. I though about it for a long time and I still couldn't figure out who it was. It definitely wasn't Allison. She had bright Auburn hair kind of like me. Did she dye it? No, she couldn't have had. Besides, there were so many girls in my school with blonde hair. It could be anyone. 

It's not like I still cared about Ben. Okay, fine, maybe I did. But that's only because he was an ex! I had Nate, but he's in a coma for god’s sake. 

Seeing him at school would just remind me of that blonde chick again. And I'd still feel hurt because of his lie that Nate was dead. We were going to have a talk. 

I instantly felt everyone's eyes on me a I walked into the school building. I passed by Amy and her little cheer leading posse. She saw me, said something to them, and caught up to me. 

"Scarlet wait up!" She fell in step besides me and gave me a smile. "Wow. You look pretty good for someone who just came out of the hospital." 

"I didn't just come out," I mumbled. 

Ignoring my comment, she went on. "Everyone was like, so scared! We didn't know if you were going to make it. The doctors wouldn't let us in the first day." 

Something about that made me smile a little. "You guys came to see me?" 

"Yeah," she said, nodding. "But the doctors would only let family in for the first days."