Chapter Three

{Chapter Three}

We do not remember days; we remember moments.  ~Cesare Pavese

"Honey, I know you're mad."

That was the first thing that my mom told me right after I called her. I easily replied back, "Mad? More like pissed. Ben fucking punched the living crap out of Nate! Which by the way, showed up at our front door for no apparent reason. Could you please freaking explain to me what's going on?"

I heard my mom sigh from the other end of the phone. "Watch your mouth, Scarlet."

If she was right in front of me, there'd be no doubt that I'd kick the crap out of her.

"Well, Nate is back." My mom started. I rolled my eyes and said, "No shi-I mean no duh."

"Okay, well first of all-where were you last night? Do you know how many times I called your cell?!"

I took a deep breath in. I knew she would say something about that. "I was hanging out...with Danielle and Ben."

"'Hanging out?' What's that supposed to mean, Scarlet?" Her voice was strict and loud.

"We were just, you know, chilling and stuff." I fumbled for words. My mom doesn't mind Ben, but if she figured out that I went PARTYING with him...well, let's just say that I'd be screwed.

"Okay," she said, obviously not falling for my lie. "That still doesn't explain why you didn't pick up your phone. I texted you over twenty times! And I probably even used up all my minutes trying to call you."

I rolled my eyes. Of course it'd be no big deal to mom if I called and she didn't pick up. But if it was the other way around- It'd be World War 3.

"Sorry. My phone was off" I bit my lip, hoping that she'd fall for my excuse. She still sounded mad when she replied back, "Okay then. Next time leave it on."

"Yeah, I will. Umm so why is Nate here?" I brought her back to where we started.

There were a few voices in the background, which my mom quietly responded to. Finally, she spoke up. "I think Nate can explain that to you. But I gotta go right now! Bye sweetheart."

I sighed heavily. "Bye."

She hung up the phone. I followed and put my phone on the table.

"Was that your mom?" A voice startled me from behind. Leaning against the door, was Nate. A expression that I couldn't read sat on his face.

"Yeah," I answered. "Umm...how much of that did you hear?" I crossed my fingers behind my back, praying that he didn't hear the beginning of the conversation.

A smirk formed around his lips. "Enough. I heard enough." I rolled my eyes and replied, "Enough as in...?"

"Can't say," Nate said. He was starting to frustrate me. I calmed down a little when I saw the white patch on his nose.

"Umm, so how are you feeling?" I asked.

At first, he looked a little confused as if I just said 'hey how ya feeling' out of the middle of nowhere. But then something passed his blue eyes and he figured out what I was talking about. "Oh! My nose...it's okay."

"Did it hurt while you were sleeping?" As soon as I asked that, something dawned over me. "Wait, where DID you sleep?"

He obviously didn't sleep over here. That would be messed up. And just plain wrong. After I fixed his nose up, he went home. I don't exactly know what home was, but I figured he just went to a friend's.