Chapter One

{Chapter One}

Love has no desire but to fulfill itself. To melt and be like a running brook that sings its melody to the night. To wake at dawn with a winged heart and give thanks for another day of loving. ~Kahlil Gibran

"Oh my god. Help me, help me, help me!" I squealed into Ben's shoulder.

I was going to die.

I just knew it. My head pressed-no, crushed-into Ben's neck. That exciting-nervous feeling swept through me again. I already knew how it was going to feel like. It was pretty obvious that I was going to be the loudest screamer that Ben had ever had experienced with. But I also know that by the time it was going to be over, I'll feel nothing. I would realize that right after it was over.

Now, you're probably thinking, what the hell are they doing?

I swear though, it's not what you're thinking...maybe.

"You can take your hand off your face you know," Ben said with a amused tone.

"No," I muttered.

I heard Ben sigh next to me. "You're so stubborn."

"Don't forget scaredy cat too." My friend, Danielle said from the other side of me.

I nudged her arm as hard as I could with my elbow.

"Ouch," She exclaimed. "But I'm not lying! I mean, what kind of sixteen year old would be scared of roller coasters?"

"Apparently Scarlet is," Ben answered.

I gave him a nudge too. "It was a rhetorical question, smart one."

He ignored me and lifted my hands away from my eyes.

"Oh my god! Please no! Beeeen," I squealed. "I'm not looking down."

The roller coaster started moving closer and closer to the top of the hill. Even though nothing happened yet, I was still scared. The cart kept creeping upwards to a seventy foot drop.

Why do roller coasters go so damn slow?

Ben laughed from the other side of me. "Roller coasters only go slow when they're going up the hill. They have to catch kinetic energy so when they go down, they go down wicked fast."

Danielle and I gave him blank stares. He looked from me to Danielle then back to me.

"What?"

I gave him a weak grin. "Nothing."

Danielle, however, replied back honestly. "You failed chemistry, biology, and astronomy...and you can explain how roller coasters work? That doesn't make any sense."

Before Ben could say anything-the roller coaster tipped forward on top of the hill while I screamed. Nothing happened for a few seconds, other than those smirks I got, but suddenly I felt my stomach drop.

We were going down.

The ride wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. Just a few upside down moments but that was it. Nothing else was scarier than the seventy foot drop, but I survived.

"See," Danielle told me, "that wasn't so bad, was it?"

"Shut up," I mumbled, earning a lopsided smirk from Ben.

"So where are we going next?" He asked with a amuse tone. His arms wrapped around my waist.

"No more roller coasters!" I pleaded, giving him my best puppy dog face. But that only made him laugh as he said, "Well in that case..."

I stuck my tongue out him in a immature way. "I hate you."

He gave me 'you are such a bad liar' look. "No," He corrected me. "You looove me."