Chapter Fourteen

"Drinking up cheap bottles of wine, sit talking up all night. Saying things we haven't for a while. Yeah, we're smiling but we're close to tears even after all these years we just know got the feeling that we're meeting...for the first time." --For the First Time by The Script

{Chapter Fourteen}

My head was feeling slightly numb and a little dizzy as I rested it down on the passenger seat. We've been driving for hours. Well, at least that's how it felt like. Car rides seem to be longer when it's only silence. Maybe that's why it felt like an eternity in here. It's probably because neither of us has said a word to each other ever since we got in the car.

 I was getting pretty tired now.

 Deciding to break the silence I said, “So can you give at least one hint on where we're going?"

 I studied his face. The radio glowed on his eyes as he drummed his fingers on the steering wheel. He looked at me for a second-only one second- before he turned back to the road.   

 "Nope."

 I scowled and crossed my arms over my chest. "Why not?" 

 He hesitated a moment before saying, "Just 'cause."

 I pursed my lips and looked out the window. We were in the highway in the middle of the night with almost no cars passing by us. "You're making me really pissed."

 Nate sighed. "Let me get this clear. You looked like you were about to die playing that lame orange juice game. So being the good boyfriend that I am, I brought you out here an took you for a nice drive."

 "But you're not telling me where we're going!" 

 "That," Nate said, fumbling with the headlights, "would just ruin the surprise."

 "It's a...surprise?" Was this a good thing or not? I didn't like surprises. One time my mom was throwing me a surprise party for my seventh birthday. I remember running home, grinning like mad, and carrying my soccer cleats. Sweat poured all over my forehead, making it look like Godzilla sneezed all over me. All I wanted was to go home, maybe have some cake, and go to sleep.

 But once I got home I got a total surprise. Over fifty strangers shouted "Happy Birthday!" to me. A few even gave me hugs. I cried and screamed because one, my own parents weren't there. And two, the strangers ruined my birthday with all their balloons and talking.

 "You still don't like surprises, do you?" He looked at me for a moment. When I didn't answer he said, "I'll take that as a no..."

 My fingers ran over the smooth-rough material of the seatbelt. "Yep. I hate surprises. Despise them. So this better be a good one."

Nate chuckled. "It will be. You just wait."

 "Can't you just give me one clue?" I begged. "Please?"

 "No can do."

 I playfully punched him. "Why not?"

 Nate gritted his teeth and made a face. "Damn it, Scarlet. You can still punch like a freaking dude. Your dad must've been a wrestler to teach you how to punch like that."

 I swallowed. He still thinks it was my dad who taught me how to punch like that. "Sorry, but don't try to change the subject."

 "I'm not telling you where we're going. Now shut up," he ordered.

 I pretended to look hurt. "You know, a guy kidnapping a girl and driving her somewhere in the middle of the night can be considered rape."

 "Not if the guy's your boyfriend."