Chapter Sixteen

"Love is like the wind. You can't see it but you can feel it." -A Walk To Remember

{Chapter Sixteen}

This time, when I woke up, it was dark. It was the kind of darkness where even if you put your hand in front of your eyes, you wouldn't be able to see it. Why was it so dark? The last time it was this dark was when my dad took me inside a submarine for his Bring Your Child to Work day. I remember crying when the doors shut, leaving me in the darkness with my dad and a bunch of strangers. It only lasted for five seconds-the darkness, I mean. But it was one of those moments where you would remember that moment forever. 

 And this just happened to be one of those moments. 

 I got up slightly, not aware of what was around me. There was a slight snoring next to me. I squinted and realized that was Nate in deep, deep sleep. The car was pretty cool with a weird stench of food. Probably from the buffet Nate and I scarfed down. 

 "Nate," I hissed, shaking his shoulder. I had this weird sense of déjà vu from the time I tried to wake up him. Only this time I actually knew where we were and what time of the day it was. Nate mumbled something in his own language. I sighed, knowing that it'd take a whole parade to wake him up. 

 Wrapping my arms around myself, I stepped outside. I could see slightly better out here, but not as much. There were a few stars glowing up along with some dark clouds. I really hoped it didn't rain. That would mean being squeezed in a humid car with Nate. Not that there's anything wrong with being with him, but it'd be really awkward of we went into the whole "I am so not jealous of your ex's," conversation. So I guess it'd leave us with just simple question like, "Yeah. So how's the weather lately?" Or, "Pretty dark night out here, eh?"

 Yeah. Still awkward. 

 I leaned against the cool car door and thought about more about Nate. This was probably unhealthy. The plan was to get Ben jealous, but the truth is, I haven't seen Ben ever since the whole party scenario. And I haven't even thought about him for a week. It's like Nate took away all our memories-mine and Ben's, I mean. Maybe Ben got over. Maybe he figured out my plan and got angry and backfired it. 

 "What are you thinking about?" A voice from behind asked. I smiled a little and wrapped my arms around my knees. The rocky road rolled underneath my barefoot.

 "Nothing," I said a little breathlessly. I felt Nate sit down right beside me. "Did I wake you?"

 "Oh, no," he said quickly. "I woke myself up."

 "Okay." Nate's slow breathing covered up most of the silence. He still smelled good too. Curious, I asked, "How do you still smell so good? It's been, like, two days since we took a shower." 

 There was a smirk in his voice when he said, "Jealous?" 

 I rolled my eyes even though I knew he couldn't see me. "No. I'm just curious. Is it Axe?" 

 "Maybe," he answered. It was quiet for a few moments. I took that chance to look at the view that was ahead of us. There were shadows that looked like hills and buildings, but you never know. Before I came here, I didn't know a thing about Mexico. After all, I've never been there before. Nate's voice interrupted my thoughts. "So you never did answer my question." 

 "Hmm?" I reply hazily. Then I realized what he was talking about. "Oh, that." 

 He nodded his head, waiting patiently. After a few minutes I finally said, "I was just thinking about my parents." 

 Lies. If anything the last thing I'd think about were my parents. I know it's wrong, but it's true. My parents we're always too busy with their job in Hollywood. Only my dad took the time to actually chat with me. It sucks that Nate knew that.