Proving It

Ian's POV

****

  Now all he had to to do was prove it.

  He coughed again as he sat up, uncaring of his attire, he needed to save Star! Ian grunted as his legs almost gave out from under him when he stood on the cool tile of the hospital floor. He padded carefully to the door, watching warily for any nurses. None so far.

  Looking down the hall, Ian caught the tail end of a white lab coat.. There's the bastard. He grinned and followed, half running to catch up, but staying far enough back that he wouldn't be noticed. The coat turned around the corner, and so did Ian. Then it disappeared into a room marked Dr. Rowen, Office. He smiled and watched in the window as the coat sat Star down in a chair. He could hear their voices, muffled as they were.

  "Why'd you take so long in Mr. Mankester's room?" Coat asked her, and she looked scared.

  "He's my patient, that is all, Dr. Rowen." Rowen grunted, and slapped her face, hard. Ian balked and almost barged in.

  "Was he... that ex you said you had?" She shook her head, and earned another slap.

One more... and I'm in.

"Who's this... Emily... he was talking about?"

Star visibly froze, and Rowen tsked, "Answer me, Starlina Magellan."

She gulped, "She... she was a friend... he had." The lie was apparent, even to Ian's ears.

Rowen grimaced, finding her lie as well, and slapped her hard enough to whip her around. That's it.... Ian gritted his teeth, and pushed the door in.

Rowen turned to face him, and Ian realized he was panting from the excursion of just moving the door.

  "Well, well, look who's here, Starlina. Are you happy to see him?"

"Ian!" Her just saying his name earned her another slap, and Ian felt himself being physically hurt seeing it.

"Star, my love.... " he couldn't help but say it, and a glimmer of tears and a faint smile played across her face. She had found her nerve up now that he said it.

Star stood, and faced Rowen, and removed the ring on her hand, Ian felt a smile play on his lips, but his heartaches at the same time as she had done the same to him. She was about to speak when....

"Mommy?" Ian turned and there she was, his daughter.

"Emily .... " he whispered and she gave him a look that said she didn't recognize him. Ian's smile faded, and turned back towards Rowen.

"Mommy!" Emily squealed and pushed past Ian, to hug Starlina who at that point dropped the ring, and bounced, the jewels breaking on contact. Rowen gaped and stared at them all.

Ian stepped forward and clocked Rowen one, hard, in the face. He went flat out on his back, knocked clean out, and Ian looked at Star. She smiled at him. Emily still blatantly glared at him, whispering to Star, who nodded at what she said.

He felt like he was intruding and he backed into the hall, another cough racking his malnourished frame. A passing nurse grabbed his arm and pulled him away.

"Back to your room, Mankester." He knew the voice. He turned to her.

"Isabel?"

"The one and only." She smiled.

He was going to say more, but another cough went through him, and she led him back to his room.

"Stay put." She said, and he nodded, laying back in bed.

Ian shivered, and fell asleep as the another set of coughing finally subsided.

Star accepted him back, it seemed. But now Emily hated him. He sighed.